The Student Room Group

Nurses with tattoos

I wanted to get a hannya tattoo that has a dagger and knife. As a nurse would that be accepted within the profession when I graduate? I wanted it on my forearm

Here is the what I wanted to get
(edited 9 months ago)
Hopefully not
Hi there!

Nurses absolutely can have tattoos! There may be certain rules private employers have relating to tattoos and visibility of them so we would advise you be conscious of that. Across our nursing and healthcare courses we have had many students who have had tattoos. Employers attitudes are slowly changing regarding tattoos and they are generally much more accepted than they were in the past. I would say the two things to consider would be: Will it be visible? Is it possible someone may reasonably find the tattoo offensive?

Best of luck with your course and wishing you luck in your career!
Reply 3
I'm absolutely covered in tattoos.

In this day and age there shouldn't be any discrimination to people who have tattoos.
Original post by Misszeus
I wanted to get a hannya tattoo that has a dagger and knife. As a nurse would that be accepted within the profession when I graduate? I wanted it on my forearm

@Misszeus
A Leeds Community Healthcare Trust policy document states "Tattoos ideally should be discreet and if
possible kept covered. New tattoos should be covered with an appropriate dressing", this is from 2015. I would check the policy document on standards with your local trust.

I've taught Nursing for nearly 10 years and a lot of my students have tattoo's, but they have all been in covered up areas (they never stop talking about them, no idea why, I'm not cool enough to understand it all)

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
No it will not be responsible, because people need to trust nurses and see them as kind and responsible people to tell their he’s or maybe something confidential about them
Reply 6
Original post by Marvel_1122
No it will not be responsible, because people need to trust nurses and see them as kind and responsible people to tell their he’s or maybe something confidential about them

What has having tattoos got anything to do with this !!!!

This is shocking that in 2023 someone would deem a person with tattoos as un trustworthy and not kind !!!

Your statement says more about you than the person with tattoos.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Misszeus

Hi. I have 15 (?) tattoos, one of which is a neck tattoo; many of which are of various insects too - never had a problem. Attitudes around tattoos in nursing are changing and you'll find there's plenty of nurses with cool tats. If anything I've always found they're a wonderful conversation starter on wards and patients have always loved and been interested in them, and you can easily build rapport with patients that also have them. Never had a complain from a patient that my tattoos are unprofessional or that they make anybody feel unsafe. I'm good at what I do and I'm responsible and that's what people focus on I've found. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Marvel_1122

You're dead wrong. I have 15 tattoos, one of which is on my neck. I've always gotten very positive feedback from staff nurses that staff and patients alike are impressed by my good nature and temperament, and I've received written testimonies from patients I've cared for where they've explicitly stated that they feel safe with me. This is why you don't judge books by their covers or cling to silly, old-timey attitudes. I'm good at what I do and it shows in how wonderfully people on placement have responded to me. I hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending