The Student Room Group

Mature Students applying for Civil Eng

Hi,

Was just wondering whether universities are required or encouraged to take on mature students to "make numbers". Asking this because by the time Ive finished my 3 year gap (drastic I know!), I will technically be a mature student. I abandoned my original idea of geography as I feel I just "fell" into applying for it, I have no real passion for the subject. Civil Eng, however, I love everything about it, but I was too wimpy to apply for such a "real" degree. (ie a definitive career)

Im going to night school to do Maths (I should get a B) and have A Levels in English Lit, Geography, General Studies (dropped ICT rather late in the game after despising the course and the teachers). So basically, what else will I need to do to get on the course at a decent uni (I will have had work exp at an engineers office).

So, after being wayyy too long winded, I would like your advice on the following:

1) Is it easier getting on (any) course being a mature student (doesnt matter if not, as I'll do as required to get onto it anyway)

2) Will I need Physics as well?

3) What are the best universities, in your opinions?

4) What else will help my application?

Thanks !
1) Is it easier getting on (any) course being a mature student (doesnt matter if not, as I'll do as required to get onto it anyway).
You're age doesnt make a different.

2) Will I need Physics as well?
Depends on what university you wish to apply for.

Also most universities they don't accept General Studies as an A Level. So you only really have A levels in Geography, English Lit and Maths.

Depending on yours grades you can get on to a BEng course (BBB-CCC) or a MEng (BBB and above).

3) What are the best universities, in your opinions?
I know that Cardiff, Swansea, Bristol, Imperial, Sheffield, Southampton all have a very good civil Engineering department.

4) What else will help my application?
- work experience in the construction industry
- a love of sovling real life problems
Reply 2
Thanks very much :biggrin:

Latest