The Student Room Group

How high should I realistically aim?

GCSE : 3A*, 5B, 3C, A in Addmaths and resitting English Language (C) alongside AS exams.
Much more comfortable at AS doing subjects I enjoy and very confident in achieving AAAA in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry, just unaware as to how high the A's should be. I hope to apply to Cambridge for Chemical Engineering through NatSci. I'm aware the course is competitive but no one in my family has gone to university so I'm not sure where to aim, obviously as high as possible but what would be 'needed' to have a decent application.

Also as for the new entrance exams for Cambridge, are there any better resources than the ones posted on their website? They only have a couple of questions (normally just 1) for each topic, whereas the actual exam has 50 if I remember correctly, with quite a broad specification.
Reply 1
Original post by JN17
GCSE : 3A*, 5B, 3C, A in Addmaths and resitting English Language (C) alongside AS exams.
Much more comfortable at AS doing subjects I enjoy and very confident in achieving AAAA in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry, just unaware as to how high the A's should be. I hope to apply to Cambridge for Chemical Engineering through NatSci. I'm aware the course is competitive but no one in my family has gone to university so I'm not sure where to aim, obviously as high as possible but what would be 'needed' to have a decent application.

Also as for the new entrance exams for Cambridge, are there any better resources than the ones posted on their website? They only have a couple of questions (normally just 1) for each topic, whereas the actual exam has 50 if I remember correctly, with quite a broad specification.

I'm not sure re: exactly how high you need (90%+ UMS avg is a good bet) but as the first person to go to uni in your family you'd probably have a slightly higher chance of getting in against someone with the same grades but from a more advantageous background.. If that helps at all. Of course you still need to do well enough to have a good chance of getting in anyway, ^ would be when they're narrowing down the good applicants to give out offers too.
Go Harvard brah
Just do as well as you can. The whole application process is holistic so theres not a magic number you need to hit to get an offer, they will take into account a huge number of factors

Quick Reply

Latest