The Student Room Group

Revision Tips?!?!

My target grades for every subject are mainly A's, but I totally flopped the mock trials - With 5 C's, 3 D's and 1 U. I have A LOT of work to do clearly.
I've started revising a bit of Science, English & Maths but I feel like I'm so behind, and I don't even know anything. Does anyone have any useful revision tips, I feel like I've tried everything.
Original post by DrunkBarbie
My target grades for every subject are mainly A's, but I totally flopped the mock trials - With 5 C's, 3 D's and 1 U. I have A LOT of work to do clearly.
I've started revising a bit of Science, English & Maths but I feel like I'm so behind, and I don't even know anything. Does anyone have any useful revision tips, I feel like I've tried everything.

Keep it simple and then build up, flashcards are good for memorization.
past papers
Hi :h:!!

I'm currently doing my GCSEs as well at the moment. It isn't too late too start (I started properly at the start of easter). I also got some pretty bad mock results but I am also an A/A* student. I got an A in my core science last year and an A in my statistics last year.

If you're struggling with revision, I have literally come across a new technique called the Cornell note taking system. It's pretty simple. All you need is a pencil, ruler and a pen to write with!! You should look it up on Youtube or something because I am pretty bad at explaining visual concepts. But yeah, I came across this technique yesterday and I am using it now for Biology, enzymes.

I have done literally no revision for English and I know I should because it's my weakest subject and I'm aiming for straight As (except computing because of my teacher's awful controlled assessment timings). :frown:

Maths - I'm doing all past papers but I am very confident with this subject. I also suggest you do past papers, find you weaknesses and practice them.

Science - cornell note taking system. BBC Bitesize, textbook/revision guides and specification (this is a must for all subjects)

English literature - I will try and revise characters, themes, authorial intention and context. Things like that.

English language - Revise exam techniques then do past papers

Geography - Cornell note taking system OR I use a blank sheet of A4 paper and do a spider diagram with colourful writing.

ICT - Same as Geography but slightly more linear.

Computing - Ew...

Resistant materials - Cornell note taking system and spider diagrams.

The revision method you use varies from subject and the individual. I suggest you experiment and see which ones you like.
Original post by DrunkBarbie

Make notes (eg mind maps) or use existing notes and then record yourself reading over the notes and just keep listening to them and do past paper questions.
English (Lit) - Don't get too bogged down with remembering quotes exactly (you don't get marked down for misquoting) and try to remember quotes which can be used for many themes/characters.
For poems it might be good to learn a little bit about the background of some poets you are likely to write about. This can show a depth of understanding to examiners
(Lang) - PRactice essay writing and if you're teachers are willing get extra essays marked.

Maths - Don't study what you already know, go to your more recent past papers and see what you lost marks on. Make a list of topics which you often lose marks on and revise them easiest to hardest so you get the most you can done.

Science - Specification content is definitely important for this. Search youtube as there are loads of great videos for science (same for computing)

Computing - Great notes here
Reply 6
Original post by BTAnonymous
Hi :h:!!

I'm currently doing my GCSEs as well at the moment. It isn't too late too start (I started properly at the start of easter). I also got some pretty bad mock results but I am also an A/A* student. I got an A in my core science last year and an A in my statistics last year.

If you're struggling with revision, I have literally come across a new technique called the Cornell note taking system. It's pretty simple. All you need is a pencil, ruler and a pen to write with!! You should look it up on Youtube or something because I am pretty bad at explaining visual concepts. But yeah, I came across this technique yesterday and I am using it now for Biology, enzymes.

I have done literally no revision for English and I know I should because it's my weakest subject and I'm aiming for straight As (except computing because of my teacher's awful controlled assessment timings). :frown:

Maths - I'm doing all past papers but I am very confident with this subject. I also suggest you do past papers, find you weaknesses and practice them.

Science - cornell note taking system. BBC Bitesize, textbook/revision guides and specification (this is a must for all subjects)

English literature - I will try and revise characters, themes, authorial intention and context. Things like that.

English language - Revise exam techniques then do past papers

Geography - Cornell note taking system OR I use a blank sheet of A4 paper and do a spider diagram with colourful writing.

ICT - Same as Geography but slightly more linear.

Computing - Ew...

Resistant materials - Cornell note taking system and spider diagrams.

The revision method you use varies from subject and the individual. I suggest you experiment and see which ones you like.

Thank you so much!! I need to try this asap loll
Slightly unrelated but don't worry if your mock results are lower than you expect I got a D in one of my mocks and then got an A* in the final exam, you still have time to improve your knowledge of a subject so don't panic

Quick Reply

Latest