The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL vs Warwick Economics

Hey Guys!

So I have received conditional offers from UCL and Warwick to pursue Economics. I am confused between these 2. I am an international student so visiting the campuses is out of question.

I have heard that UCL is much more of a city campus so the school/community spirit is low and there may be instances where you might feel lonely and left out. Is this true? Do you feel that your undergrad campus life has been slightly compromised compared to students attending campus universities like Warwick? And how is the economics course?

If there's anyone who's rejected Warwick and went ahead with UCL, please help me by telling me what made you do that. I'd love to hear from all of you.

Thank you so much!
Original post by thatnamelessgirl
Hey Guys!

So I have received conditional offers from UCL and Warwick to pursue Economics. I am confused between these 2. I am an international student so visiting the campuses is out of question.

I have heard that UCL is much more of a city campus so the school/community spirit is low and there may be instances where you might feel lonely and left out. Is this true? Do you feel that your undergrad campus life has been slightly compromised compared to students attending campus universities like Warwick? And how is the economics course?

If there's anyone who's rejected Warwick and went ahead with UCL, please help me by telling me what made you do that. I'd love to hear from all of you.

Thank you so much!

Hey - I personally rejected Warwick and firmed UCL for Economics.

Quite honestly the only instances where you may feel left out is if you literally don't go out to socials or meet up with anyone from your course, societies or student halls! I have quite a few friends at UCL and have never heard anyone complain about the social aspect of the University; everyone loves it on the contrary, especially with all the events available in London!

As to the course they're both equivalent and are targeted equally by the top financial firms - the most important question is whether you'd want to live in London or live in a much smaller place on the Warwick campus.

Hope to see you next year :biggrin:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Metrododo

Quite honestly the only instances where you may feel left out is if you literally don't go out to socials or meet up with anyone from your course, societies or student halls! I have quite a few friends at UCL and have never heard anyone complain about the social aspect of the University; everyone loves it on the contrary, especially with all the events available in London!

As to the course they're both equivalent and are targeted equally by the top financial firms - the most important question is whether you'd want to live in London or live in a much smaller place on the Warwick campus.

Hey Metrododo!

Thank you so much for your reply! I must say, I do have a slight bias towards UCL because it's in London and I will get to mingle with the real world unlike in Coventry where everywhere I turn there's going to be students. However, I was just skeptical about missing out on 'the college life' thing because UCL doesn't have a proper campus (please correct me if I am wrong) so I believe the school spirit is low.

Just wanted to ask one more thing. Since UCL is located in London, do the 'socials' that you were referring to actually mean pub/bar meetups? Or are there socials which skip the drinking part all together? Because I do not drink (and my parents are really apprehensive about the drinking culture) so the chances that I'd go for pub meetups are going to be really low. So if these socials are going to be drinking-inclined, will my social circle be much smaller? Or are there socials for people like me?

Thanks once again!
Original post by thatnamelessgirl
Hey Metrododo!

Thank you so much for your reply! I must say, I do have a slight bias towards UCL because it's in London and I will get to mingle with the real world unlike in Coventry where everywhere I turn there's going to be students. However, I was just skeptical about missing out on 'the college life' thing because UCL doesn't have a proper campus (please correct me if I am wrong) so I believe the school spirit is low.

Just wanted to ask one more thing. Since UCL is located in London, do the 'socials' that you were referring to actually mean pub/bar meetups? Or are there socials which skip the drinking part all together? Because I do not drink (and my parents are really apprehensive about the drinking culture) so the chances that I'd go for pub meetups are going to be really low. So if these socials are going to be drinking-inclined, will my social circle be much smaller? Or are there socials for people like me?

Thanks once again!

UCL' Campus is pretty much as close as you'll get in London to the traditional idea of a campus. Bloomsbury square is what's considered the center of the campus with lots of places to grab lunch and bars around as well each individual department building in a small radius! So within a 5/10m walk radius you definitely feel the UCL atmosphere - and school spirit if that's what you mean?

Irrespective of the University, nearly all societies (notably sports teams) will have some element of drinking socials (for UCL they're on Wednesdays) where people sometimes go clubbing afterwards but you are not forced to drink alcohol at all! :smile: The main point is just to hang out and have a good time so you won't be missing out!

It really is up to what you make of it socially, but rest assured that not drinking won't be an issue!

Posted from TSR Mobile
UCL' Campus is pretty much as close as you'll get in London to the traditional idea of a campus. Bloomsbury square is what's considered the center of the campus with lots of places to grab lunch and bars around as well each individual department building in a small radius! So within a 5/10m walk radius you definitely feel the UCL atmosphere - and school spirit if that's what you mean?

Irrespective of the University, nearly all societies (notably sports teams) will have some element of drinking socials (for UCL they're on Wednesdays) where people sometimes go clubbing afterwards but you are not forced to drink alcohol at all! :smile: The main point is just to hang out and have a good time so you won't be missing out!

It really is up to what you make of it socially, but rest assured that not drinking won't be an issue!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am so glad that I won't feel left out in a big city like London just because I don't drink! Thank you so much for answering my queries and if I do firm UCL (I mostly will) and meet their criteria, hope to see you this year!:biggrin:

The battle is on...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending