The Student Room Group

Everyone For 2008 Application!

I AM REALLY UNSURE ABOUT THIS! i typed this same post on admissions forum earlier but its not much help just yet!:::

Hi, Ive never used this before, I am applying for medicine this coming year, but Im not sure what other people applying have done - in their spare time, work experience , etc...I know this seems like a bit of an odd question but i really have no idea what I am up against! this is a list of things i have done , have people done more less or around the same amount as this?! I dont know any other people applying for medicine at the moment to ask!THANK YOU EVERYONE!

i took 4 as levels-So far for as levels i had 3a's for 3 exams.
gcses - 6a*s 2a's 1b
Hobbies: Studying and performing drama and touring with shows, took dance lessons for 6 years, art (painting and studying) and writing. Studying sociology with the Open University. Studying for a diploma in counselling. Piano.
Medical Related: Going to ghana for a month to volunteer in a hospital, work experience in hospital, job as a domestic assistant in a hospital, volunteering on a radio show for a hospital, going to medsim, volunteering with Red Cross Shop. Self initiated fundraising for charity.
Other: Duke Of Edinbugh Bronze, Millenium Volunteers, Prefect, Mentoring, School Council,teaching sex education to 13 year olds (funniest hour of my life!)Teaching english and maths to young students.Maybe soon volunteering to teach ethnic women basic english skills, also hoping to volunteer as a counsellor soon!
I want to apply to UCL, Kings, Barts and St George
IM just thinking that everyone will have done similar things so how is it possible to stand out????? apart from ps???
Thanks!
Reply 1
Why don't you try volunteering in a nursing home or something similar with elderly people? My brother just got in to post grad med school at Bristol and he volunteered on a hospital ward which had a lot of elderly people on it (I'm guessing it might have been a geriatric ward). Nursing home thing could be hard though because you have to have police checks or something. You could ask your local hospital if you can do some volunteer work on a regular basis to show commitment, as long as you meet their age requirements which is probably 17 if they have them. Other than that, what you have seems very good and your grades are definitely sufficient - what happened with that B at GCSE? :eek: Also do D of E Gold, it's the best :biggrin: and wahey for charity shops! Sorry if what I've said is a bit useless, I actually want to be a vet, they have more fun :smile: But I know a bit from my brother and friends, who also want to apply, about what they did and are doing. Good luck!
Rahmed... that book is awesome!
ive probably read it about 20 times!
and ive mentioned it interviews!
definately worth a buy!

also... OP... thats lovely, but do you have milk with your cornflakes?

sorry... had to bring it in..

You've got/ gonna get amazing experience. Go for it!
just concentrate on your exams for the moment... then the UKCAT and BMAT!
Reply 4
whatt on earth is this cornflakes thing?! everything keeps saying it!!!!!!!! x x x x x x!
soos
I AM REALLY UNSURE ABOUT THIS! i typed this same post on admissions forum earlier but its not much help just yet!:::

Hi, Ive never used this before, I am applying for medicine this coming year, but Im not sure what other people applying have done - in their spare time, work experience , etc...I know this seems like a bit of an odd question but i really have no idea what I am up against! this is a list of things i have done , have people done more less or around the same amount as this?! I dont know any other people applying for medicine at the moment to ask!THANK YOU EVERYONE!

i took 4 as levels-So far for as levels i had 3a's for 3 exams.
gcses - 6a*s 2a's 1b
Hobbies: Studying and performing drama and touring with shows, took dance lessons for 6 years, art (painting and studying) and writing. Studying sociology with the Open University. Studying for a diploma in counselling. Piano.
Medical Related: Going to ghana for a month to volunteer in a hospital, work experience in hospital, job as a domestic assistant in a hospital, volunteering on a radio show for a hospital, going to medsim, volunteering with Red Cross Shop. Self initiated fundraising for charity.
Other: Duke Of Edinbugh Bronze, Millenium Volunteers, Prefect, Mentoring, School Council,teaching sex education to 13 year olds (funniest hour of my life!)Teaching english and maths to young students.Maybe soon volunteering to teach ethnic women basic english skills, also hoping to volunteer as a counsellor soon!
I want to apply to UCL, Kings, Barts and St George
IM just thinking that everyone will have done similar things so how is it possible to stand out????? apart from ps???
Thanks!

Nope, you just have to hope you'll be lucky.
4 london choices. how boring.
Reply 6
Ye you've got plenty of stuff to write about on your personal statement. More than most will have.
I get all confident about getting into med school without a problem, after seeing all those muppets who come along asking what the bestest school is, and then people like that come along and knock me right back down again :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Pah, you don't need a whole load of ECs and achievements. Think about it, on your UCAS form, considering you devote over half of it to why medicine, work experience blah blah blah....you only need say 3/4 lines about ECs. I got by with saying DJing taught me organisational skills that can be applied to studying and learning medicine and that I sailed from time to time that taught me teamwork!:rolleyes: :rofl: And that time to time really wasn't being modest!!

Latest

Trending

Trending