The Student Room Group

Redoing placement weeks

Hi all, I know that this from is for students, but I am hoping someone can advise a concerned parent. My daughter has just been told that she will need to redo her 5 week primary school placement. She is in her 2nd year of a 4 year QTS BA. She doesn't yet know if the will be possible at the end of this academic year I.e. June or whether she will have to do this as a standalone during the academic year 2016/17 & then start year 3 in sept 2017.

Does anyone know what impact this may have on her student finance applications, will she still have to pay fees even if she is only doing the 5 week placement? I am trying to be supportive but am really worried. Is there anything she can do to try & push for the placement to be repeated this academic year? Any advise to allow me to support in the right way would be welcome.

Thank you
Reply 1
I'm afraid it's difficult to provide any advice regarding issues like this because every institution has its own procedures. These procedures are usually outlined in a student handbook or something similar - has your daughter had a look to see what it says? If the university does charge a fee, it would almost certainly be reduced. Finance is available for up to one additional year for people in her circumstances, so she would receive funding to allow her to repeat the placement.

Presumably the university will at least try to find a school in which she can repeat the placement before the end of current academic year but this may not be possible. When does the third year of her course start? Is it possible that they may be able to fit the placement in before this? Is there a tutor that your daughter could talk to or a service provided by her student union that can provide support? She ideally needs someone who knows the university's procedures well to fight her corner and ensure that they find a school in which she can repeat the placement in June.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending