The Student Room Group

Times Good University Guide 2008?

Hello

I pre-ordered the Times Good University Guide 2008 several days ago, it was meant to be released yesterday - 4th June. However, I recieved an email from amazon this morning saying they cannot obtain it, and a search of internet bookshops reveals that it isn't in stock anywhere.

Does anyone know when it will be released?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hobnob
Erm, never mind...:redface:

I know there are many people on here who are annoyed at the way people rely so heavily on it to rank universities, but I'd still appreciate anyone shedding any light on when it will be released?

Thanks.
Reply 2
CoolSocks
I know there are many people on here who are annoyed at the way people rely so heavily on it to rank universities, but I'd still appreciate anyone shedding any light on when it will be released?

Thanks.

Hmm, you misunderstood me there, actually: I just initially misread your post, so I told you the date when the Guardian university guide will be out. Obviously that wouldn't have been any help to you, so when I realised my mistake, I edited and subsequently deleted my post.

As for your question: it's probably just been delayed for a bit, as sometimes happens with books. I doubt it'll take very long, but if you want a definite answer, phoning the publisher to ask for the new publication date will probably be your best bet.
Reply 3
hobnob
Hmm, you misunderstood me there, actually: I just initially misread your post, so I told you the date when the Guardian university guide will be out. Obviously that wouldn't have been any help to you, so when I realised my mistake, I edited and subsequently deleted my post.

As for your question: it's probably just been delayed for a bit, as sometimes happens with books. I doubt it'll take very long, but if you want a definite answer, phoning the publisher to ask for the new publication date will probably be your best bet.

Hi

Sorry I did misunderstand you. After posting it I thought it might have been that you had merely edited out a post, rather than that you were saying "nevermind that the Times Good University 2008 guide hasn't been released yet". I have detected a lot of hostility to people relying on it too heavily on TSR though.

I've emailed the publisher, I'll post their answer here, but you're probably right that it won't be delayed for very long.
It was due out in the paper in mid May - they keep missing the deadlines - book doesn't come out until the newspaper version comes out, watch the times website every friday - they'll advertise when it's due out the following monday and the book will follow shortly after.
Reply 5
PQ
It was due out in the paper in mid May - they keep missing the deadlines - book doesn't come out until the newspaper version comes out, watch the times website every friday - they'll advertise when it's due out the following monday and the book will follow shortly after.
Seems to be getting later every year - last year it was the first week of June but there's been no "trail" in The Times for it so far. The Guardian tables are completely useless, the Times and Sunday Times ones are slightly better but none should be taken too seriously!!
Reply 6
The Times Customer Service email simply helpfully said - we have not yet released a publication date.

So when it will come out is anyone's guess. :confused:
Reply 7
I wonder who is gonna do a loughborough.

I'm going for southampton to be in top 10 and birmingham in top 20,

At the end of the day, the league tables are general bull**** and there more of a vague guide than anything serious.
Reply 8
PJ

At the end of the day, the league tables are general bull**** and there more of a vague guide than anything serious.

"I wonder who is gonna do a loughborough."

What does that mean?

I think most people here would say that the guide is roughly accurate, in terms of ranking the best universities to go to for each subject.
Reply 9
PQ
"The Times will not be publishing the League Tables during June. There appears to be some legal dispute going on. It is even conceivable that they will not be published at all this year, when you take the timings into consideration. [The legal dispute is] to do with the fact that the THES was sold off from News Corp last year and traditionally they share the data with The Times. As the 2 papers now have different owners they are arguing about who owns the data."

:ninja:

So they might end up using their respective chunks of data for new guides?:biggrin:
*waits for the THES Even Better University Guide and the Times Best University Guide Ever to be announced...*
Reply 10
PJ

It's hardly mad for Birmingham to regain its top 20 spot.
Reply 11
Helicopter

I know, my opinion is southampton & birmingham should be rated higher
Reply 12
Helicopter

Quite true, I don't know why it dropped out in the first place. I think it was something like 33rd last year, which is ridiculous.
Reply 13
PJ
I know, my opinion is southampton & birmingham should be rated higher

My apologies, I thought you were suggesting that a top 20 spot would be undeserved!
Reply 14
news corp :rolleyes:
Reply 15
please the laegues tables should come out before september so i can make my choice. i have seen the guardian tables and its obvious its total crab...so times please come out soonest
^Just check last years tables. I suppose this year's tabels would be roughly the same as last year's. Sure universities are going to place differently for instance from 14th place to 18th (I've no idea what unis are 14th and 18th so please don't start going on how uni x couldn't possibly fall down four places), but nothing dramatic shouldn't happen. Last year's tables should be a good enough indication on how unis roughly place compared to each other, but really, I don't think you should base your decision solely on league tables. They aren't the whole truth you know...
Reply 17
:dito: they fluctuate like crazy at times and aren't the only most reliable things out there.

:tee:
Reply 18
Helicopter

hear hear

AdamTJ
Quite true, I don't know why it dropped out in the first place. I think it was something like 33rd last year, which is ridiculous.

at an applicant visit training day i attended, we were told that the university included foreign students (i.e. ERASMUS students) in its figures and hardly any other universities did. when student:staff ratios were worked out, and they are apaprently a fairly weighty factor in ranking, we dropped quite a few points.
CoolSocks
"I wonder who is gonna do a loughborough."

What does that mean?

I think most people here would say that the guide is roughly accurate, in terms of ranking the best universities to go to for each subject.

Exactly. Loughborough deserves to be 6th and in the top 10 where it has been and I'm hopeful if will stay. The guide is better for overall Uni in my opinion than subjects, as I'm sure they investigate the overall Uni a lot more thoroughly than they do for each subject there is!

Latest

Trending

Trending