The Student Room Group

What happens if your school becomes an academy

Hi What happens if your school becomes an academy. We have knew about it for ages but I don't know what changes ?
Reply 1
We already had a new and better uniform our head teacher got rid of the posh one and we have a good uniform now
Academy schools are state-funded schools in England which are directly funded by the Department for Education and independent of local authority control.

The day-to-day running of the school is with the head teacher or principal, but they are overseen by individual charitable bodies called academy trusts and may be part of an academy chain.

These trusts and chains provide advice, support, expertise and a strategic overview.

They control their own admissions process and have more freedom than other schools to innovate.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Moved to Educational Debate :smile:
I think they are free to spend their budget as they please but they have to teach the same
A fudged explanation that my general studies teacher gave me (my school turned from school to academy in like year 7 or 8) is that the school gets a bit more money and freedom from local authority (the second of which apparently makes very little difference). A downside if somewhere small was to do it is that they have to organise the running of their own budget and that so if your school's so small that they don't have an accountant then things can get a bit difficult.

Another fun "fact" from aforementioned teacher is the money that we were initially gaining from being an academy has effectively been lost due to cuts so we're the same as we were/worse off pretty much at this point. He gives a very depressing account of the current education system...
Not really sure left school ages ago but my old school has turned into an academy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending