The Student Room Group

Head teacher without having been a teacher?

I went to a school with a head teacher who'd never been a teacher. They changed their title to Principal after a couple of years.
Has anyone had the same or a similar experience?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EL2025
I went to a school with a head teacher who'd never been a teacher. They changed their title to Principal after a couple of years.

A lot of the new academies have a Head / Principal with a Business / Finance background who have never taught.
Original post by bamtutor
A lot of the new academies have a Head / Principal with a Business / Finance background who have never taught.

But surely Heads should have teaching experience
Original post by EL2025

Probably helpful, but do they need it? They are administrators and have more to do with managing the teachers and facility than the pupils. Given how competitive money is now I can see a business background head being the better choice to ensure a schools viability.
Original post by StriderHort
Probably helpful, but do they need it? They are administrators and have more to do with managing the teachers and facility than the pupils. Given how competitive money is now I can see a business background head being the better choice to ensure a schools viability.

That maybe true but it might not always work out.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by EL2025

A phycologist doesn't have to have had severe mental trauma to treat their service users.

Obviously, experience is helpful, however, it's not the be all and end all. The course they do aren’t for nothing.
Original post by EL2025
That maybe true but I went to a school ran by someone who hadn't been a teacher. When anything went wrong, she told us to keep things quiet because it didn't look good for her reputation. So maybe you're right but the school I went to, things were just dodgy.

Tbh you could apply that to almost any manager or even employee, teachers included, the nail that stands up gets hammered etc.

I don't work in education but I get the impression the funding and standards are a lot more cut throat than they used to be, so a school likely needs someone that can play that game so that the teachers can get on with teaching. Promoting a respected and popular teacher from within might go down well with kids and parents, but not so much when funding is needed or when politicians look for victims.
Original post by Teapot_Tom
A phycologist doesn't have to have had severe mental trauma to treat their service users.

Obviously, experience is helpful, however, it's not the be all and end all. The course they do aren’t for nothing.

Yes I agree with what point you are making, but schools should have at least one teacher on the leadership team, even if it's not the head.
Original post by EL2025
Yes I agree with what point you are making, but schools should have at least one teacher on the leadership team, even if it's not the head.

The Heads of departments will be teachers and they are part of SLT.
Reply 9
Original post by StriderHort
Probably helpful, but do they need it? They are administrators and have more to do with managing the teachers and facility than the pupils.

Yes - I think they should have experience. Teaching is an emotional experience and to have a pen pushing blotter jotter barking orders without understanding what it is they are actually getting people to do does not help matters. Being a good head is about getting the staff to buy into you and having no experience is the first step towards alienating yourself.

Besides, head teaching is way more than an admin job. Yes, you are responsible for a massive budget but also with implementing educational policy, changes across the school to improve attainment or behaviour as well as being responsible for safeguarding and other child safety matters.

Heads who don't teach are likely to be as effective as ministers are at ordering PPE or technology infrastructure for their departments.
Original post by EL2025

I wouldn't work at a school where the Head hadn't been a teacher at some point. How can they observe teaching if they've never done it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by bamtutor

Most have a Head and a separate business manager
Original post by Muttley79
How can they observe taching if they've never done it.

tache.png
Original post by the bear
tache.png

I've known a couple of those.
Most were deranged penny pinching tyrants or fanatical middle aged women who made their own daughters lives miserable with incessant doomsday cult rhetoric/bible bashing/glorifying terrorism types of rants.
Original post by EL2025

Being a manager is very different when your 3+ levels removed from the working level it’s not an issue as long as you surround yourself with the right people. Managers are essentially balancing resources and developing policy to pull the organization (or in this case school) into a direction.

The CEO of large companies often have a dizen major departments so leadership often only have formal expertise in one slice of the operation. Lots of the highest performing organizations like Goldman sachs, JP Morgan, Mckinsey, BCG are well known for hiring ex-military officers with zero working level experience (why? They are excellent at unemotional influenced decision making..).

of course their will be times teachers issues & voices need to be listened to, but a good leader understands their strengths & weaknesses and surrounds themselves with a great leadership team.
Original post by londonmyst
I've known a couple of those.
Most were deranged penny pinching tyrants or fanatical middle aged women who made their own daughters lives miserable with incessant doomsday cult rhetoric/bible bashing/glorifying terrorism types of rants.

Are you talking about Head's who haven't been teachers? Doesn't surprise me. My school had a 'hush hush' culture where you were encouraged to keep things quiet because it didn't look good for the school's reputation.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by mnot
Being a manager is very different when your 3+ levels removed from the working level it’s not an issue as long as you surround yourself with the right people. Managers are essentially balancing resources and developing policy to pull the organization (or in this case school) into a direction.

The CEO of large companies often have a dizen major departments so leadership often only have formal expertise in one slice of the operation. Lots of the highest performing organizations like Goldman sachs, JP Morgan, Mckinsey, BCG are well known for hiring ex-military officers with zero working level experience (why? They are excellent at unemotional influenced decision making..).

of course their will be times teachers issues & voices need to be listened to, but a good leader understands their strengths & weaknesses and surrounds themselves with a great leadership team.

A head is not a CEO though - the title is Headteacher
Original post by Muttley79
A head is not a CEO though - the title is Headteacher

Yes but some academies have CEOs instead of Head Teachers. They tend to run schools as businesses though
Original post by EL2025
Yes but some academies have CEOs instead of Head Teachers. They tend to run schools as businesses though

Most academies have a business manager as well as a Head ... MATs tend to have a 'layer' above each individual school that would tend to have a CEO.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending