The Student Room Group
Hmm, I'm not certain - they might work out you've messed up your AS exams, and you're resitting, but if you've got really good A2 predictions, there's no reason why they should think "Oh, they'll never make the offer" because your teachers think you will....

It really depends what you're applying for - if it's something really competitive like Law or Medicine, then you might run into a few problems, but otherwise, lots of people resit, and as long as your predictions are good, there's no reason why they won't give you due consideration. The except to this I THINK is probably Durham, who are a bit stuffy about grades (mostly GCSEs though lol...)

Good luck :smile:

xx
Reply 2
My teachers have said they will predict me AAA no matter what happens. (unless, i really mess up. which I know I won't). I'm going to apply for politics/IR
Reply 3
I would like to know this also, but what about for unis such as LSE and for courses such as Accounting&Finance...not as competetive as Eco.
Reply 4
I think you do HAVE to put your AS grades down unless your getting a remark or the like so you will have to tell them

And on the 2nd point about LSE they will look at EVERYTHING!! from your GCSE's and up and if you dont match what they want straight into the bin even if you have 4 A's at A2 even fro the less popular courses they will still have high standards.
You don't have to disclose your AS results if you decline them (which I assume you'd do if you want to resit modules).
Reply 6
LSE is a bit tight on grades from what I hear. Durham is tough to get into for courses such as History, Law and English where GCSE results matter a lot. However, for the less competitive courses, such as Computer Science and Chemistry, you have a very good chance.

In regards to Politics and IR, Bristol and Warwick will be very picky. They are both extremely good for these courses and getting in will not be easy.
I declined all my AS grades, just having my predicted grades on the UCAS app, and got offers from the 5 unis in my sig, all of which are good places. If your predicted grades are good you should be in with a shout. Then again, they're for Physics, which is pretty undersubscribed.
Reply 8
T_Bag
I would like to know this also, but what about for unis such as LSE and for courses such as Accounting&Finance...not as competetive as Eco.

A & F is still very competative though.

OP, a lot of schools decline everybody's AS grades as policy regardless of what they actually achieve, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
My AS grades were automatically declined (school policy) and I still got an offer from Bristol. Having said, they knew from my reference that it was school policy and that 2 of my grades were high As. If it's not school policy, they'll probably guess you're resitting, but lots of people do, so if you're predicted AAA and have good GCSEs, it shouldn't really matter.
sunburnt_note
You don't have to disclose your AS results if you decline them (which I assume you'd do if you want to resit modules).
Correct, to an extent :biggrin: You're right about not having to disclose your results if declined. But you don't necessarily have to decline if you want to resit modules. If you want to improve the AS award (i.e. you're not taking the subject onto A2) then you would have to decline it. Other than that, there's really no need to decline unless you want to hide your results (or if it's school policy).

What if you don't disclose cashed/certificated grades? Well, nothing, but if you get caught in one of UCAS' random check, then you may potentially put your application at risk (since you have to agree to something before your application gets submited. They say something like they have the right to withdraw your application if you have provided false/incomplete details).

In terms of universities' views, they're not meant to discriminate against students who have cashed and those who haven't, due to different school policies on cashing (don't think they can find out).
Reply 11
my school have said they will predict me the same grades that i get in as level for A2 and after reading this i dont think this is very fair can i not do anything because i want to apply to dentistry and i think i messed up in the physics exam and im proberly going to get AACa
Nyrus
my school have said they will predict me the same grades that i get in as level for A2 and after reading this i dont think this is very fair can i not do anything because i want to apply to dentistry and i think i messed up in the physics exam and im proberly going to get AACa
Yeah, unfortunately that's how it goes :frown: A few of my friends actually got predicted down a grade :redface: Dare I say, private / paid schools probably have more generous predictions?
Mustard-man
Yeah, unfortunately that's how it goes :frown: A few of my friends actually got predicted down a grade :redface: Dare I say, private / paid schools probably have more generous predictions?

No idea if that's true, but my school was a state comprehensive and had pretty generous predictions, for me anyway. I'm not really sure how it was for everyone else, but I can't imagine them being too strict on it. I think it just varies from school to school really. In a way, private schools might actually be less willing to give generous predictions because if they kept over predicting students, the unis wouldn't trust them anymore and it would damage their reputation as well as potentially the chances of their students at getting in. Anyway, it is really unfair that predictions vary so much depending on the school you go to and something really needs to be done about that, but apart from begging, emphasising how important predicted grades are for dentistry and perhaps getting your parents involved, there's unfortunately nothing else you can do. There's always applying post A-level if you're predicted low grades, get no offers you want and then your results are better.

Latest

Trending

Trending