The Student Room Group

Onyxia's Lair of discussion for World of Warcraft

Scroll to see replies

mr_jr
hello fellows. How do?

thought id pop in a quick update :smile:

My lock is doing well, full purples, including the staff from 10man malygos {need to find an enchanter atm, i won it yesterday}. Still yet to clear maly 25 and sarth+2/3. Got my 5 piece tier 7, so looking to replace my chest with heigans caster chest {immense, like!}

Lock power! You affliction? I'm on the grind to 80. Just got level 74. First char! A few people on my guild like to tease me about being a lock, and that they're 'boring to play'. Well, my bf gets the same for having played a rogue since WoW came out, yet he tops all the DPS charts (me too sometimes).

Seriously, ever since that damn DK came to the game...:P.
Reply 1382
What's up guys? Another WoW player here. Started in about January, interested in joining the group if possible.

Details:

Character Name: Taterss
Class: Warlock
Faction: Alliance
Race: Human
Server: Anvilmar (US)

Got to level 74 the other day and can't wait to hit 80 to do some Heroics. :smile:

EDIT: Jenren, do you spec as affliction on your lock? If so, what do you use for an instance rotation on mobs and bosses? I think mine right now goes Haunt, Unstable Affliction, Curse of Agony, Corruption, Siphon Life, Shadowbolt filler, and then keeping my DoTs updated.
Reply 1383
Dal seems to be on a spree. I'm hoping that she locks this thread too :wink:.

Or renames it "The EvE thread". Or something.

:ninja:
Nickt02

EDIT: Jenren, do you spec as affliction on your lock? If so, what do you use for an instance rotation on mobs and bosses? I think mine right now goes Haunt, Unstable Affliction, Curse of Agony, Corruption, Siphon Life, Shadowbolt filler, and then keeping my DoTs updated.

Yep affliction i am :smile:.

Mine was very similar to yours however after doing some research i decided to re-spec slightly and put some points into destruction, so that i can get a bit more out of immolate, as it is still a good one to use.

Basically, on trash mobs i just use seed of corruption if there's three or more, tabbing between them to reduce threat, otherwise i use the same rotation as i do on bosses as follows:

Shadow bolt, Haunt, UA, immolate, CoA, corruption, siphon life, and then top up where possible. Immolate and UA have the same ticking times so i put them together so that as soon as i've topped up UA, then i top up immolate just in time. Use SB and haunt first to get your stacks of shadow embrace if you're specced for that. I would highly recommend using immolate as part of your rotation as it does deal alot of damage. Also i do try to use drain soul when the boss is under 25% hp, same with trash mobs.

I get alot of inspiration from this site, take a look :smile:. More related to level 80 raids but is a great way of preparing yourself while levelling as well. http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t37900-dots_you_affliction_warlock_thread/

If you use your felhunter like me, try and use spell lock on casters, especially in Drak'tharon keep as the mobs in there like to fear you, alot :p:.
jenren22
Lock power! You affliction? I'm on the grind to 80. Just got level 74. First char! A few people on my guild like to tease me about being a lock, and that they're 'boring to play'. Well, my bf gets the same for having played a rogue since WoW came out, yet he tops all the DPS charts (me too sometimes).

Seriously, ever since that damn DK came to the game...:P.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Azjol-Nerub&n=Boshie

I'm actually playing with a demonology/destruction hybrid: Felguard/Emberstorm. It's not the best for levelling, and indeed not for DPS in raids, but im still pulling out a respectable ~3k DPS before buffs which is nice :smile:.

I levelled as Affliction to 70, and then changed spec when I hit 71 after wrath I decided to level as Felguard/Siphon life. That was a wonderful spec to level as, and would utterly recommend it.

I get teased for being a gnome mainly. Anyone teasing a lock is just plain silly. Looking at damage done; heavy affliction locks almost always comes out top on a boss fight =).

As for how boring it is to play, thats something that only you can decide. Do you enjoy your lock? If so, then any jibe at how dull others may thing it is is just wrong :smile: I love my lock, though im a bit at a loss as to what im going to do come 3.1 though >_<.

Enjoy your lock time! x
estel
Dal seems to be on a spree. I'm hoping that she locks this thread too :wink:.

Everyone loves this thread. :mad:

Important (free month of WoW):

I will be starting again today or tomorrow. First person to call scroll of resurrection on me can use it & we'll sort it out through PM's... I don't really know how it works, but we'll get it done and you can save £9. :yy:
Reply 1387
Can a US account do it? If so, I'll help. :smile:
Nickt02
Can a US account do it? If so, I'll help. :smile:

Sorry, it appears someone beat you through a PM.

Blame Channy. :thumbsdown: :tongue:
I've actually got a question regarding locks. I'm not too bad during boss fights, but especially on trash mobs i constantly get aggro, and die alot. I do use seed of corruption, and spamming dots beforehand does seem to help, but is there any way of handling loads of trash mobs at once without using your AoE spells and just getting aggro?

I also seem to have a problem with running out of mana. I use alot of dots and i have to have a courteous healer who doesn't mind me life-tapping three times. I have to in order to keep my dots up!
Reply 1390
jenren22
I've actually got a question regarding locks. I'm not too bad during boss fights, but especially on trash mobs i constantly get aggro, and die alot. I do use seed of corruption, and spamming dots beforehand does seem to help, but is there any way of handling loads of trash mobs at once without using your AoE spells and just getting aggro?

Find a better tank! :p:
Reply 1391
Jabbamuffin
Sorry, it appears someone beat you through a PM.

Blame Channy. :thumbsdown: :tongue:

He-he-he-he :biggrin:
Roobsa
Find a better tank! :p:

Ahh, so it's the tank's problem? That's the thing, the tank last night kept losing aggro, and he admit himself he wasn't brilliant.

I wasn't sure whether it was my problem or his really.
Reply 1393
jenren22
Ahh, so it's the tank's problem? That's the thing, the tank last night kept losing aggro, and he admit himself he wasn't brilliant.

I wasn't sure whether it was my problem or his really.

Well bit of both I guess, you can't nuke straight away and expect the Tank to keep aggro in every situation. Sure it's his responsibility but common sense goes a long way :cool:

jenren22

I also seem to have a problem with running out of mana. I use alot of dots and i have to have a courteous healer who doesn't mind me life-tapping three times. I have to in order to keep my dots up!

My two main gripes as a warlock also :p: I burn through my mana pretty quickly on bosses then I'd have to constantly mana tap which messed up my cycle. I'm not very sure how Affliction works, I've always been Destro (huge crits :awesome:). I'd imagine it's still best to get a few dots in whilst the tanks and melee get some aggro (Destro dots can proc extra fire damage) and then start nuking. If you're still pulling everything try only nuking the tank's target or another caster. If you pull melee targets they will chew you up pretty quickly.
jenren22

Its surprising that as affliction (im guessing you are) you're actually able to put out the damage to steal aggro from tanks.
I guess you can either a) slow down, putting up a couple of dots per target and letting them tick away while the tank builds a threat lead or b)use soulshatter judiciously.

As for lifetapping, well, you need to. ITs how you regain mana. If you let a raid healer know you're lifetapping when at low mana throughout a raid, theyll likely just throw you a hot, and this is perfect for you to lifetap to full. If its a fight with raid damage then just lifetap when you wont waste any mana gained and youre on high hp. (examples here include not lifetapping just after a heal on loatheb, instead just before the necrotic aura drops, so as you can judge how many times you can without killing yourself.)

TBH Healers are nice with us because we give results! :biggrin:

I lifetap quite a lot because i get the 4piece t7 bonus, so any time theres movement (eg polarity switch on thaddius) ill lifetap, even if im full, or im really low, ill tap and ive enver had problems with healers getting edgy.

:smile:
Just re-subbing to this thread. I'm an idiot and clicked 'stop watching'. Doh.
You did it with this thread too? :facepalm:
I managed to unclick allll the one's I didn't want to keep watching and delete all the ones I wanted to watch. I'm having one of those days :frown:
:console:

I'm really unsure about whether to start playing again (after the scroll couldn't be used). Or just wait until after my exams & try really hard not to fail them all.
I've been tempted to play as i've actually done nothing all day, so playing WoW would at least be doing something. Thankfully I don't have the money to play right now so that's enough to stop me till after my exams end at the start of June.

What happened with the scroll?

Quick Reply

Latest