The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Do students at LSE care about making a positive impact?

I'm considering applying to the LSE for masters alongside UCL and Cambridge for political theory or public policy, and I really do get put off by the reputation of LSE as being a hub for career-oriented soon-to-be investment bankers. Whilst this stereotype is, well, just a stereotype, it seems to be such a persistent motif in any discussion about LSE.

I went into politics in an academic context because I want to make people's lives better. I don't care so much about money, so long as I can get by, but what matters to me is creating a positive impact on the world with my ideas. As such, instead of going into an investment bank I'm hoping to go into the think tank/NGO sector. You'd expect a university dedicated to the social sciences to produce a culture of public service and positive impact, but I'm doubtful of its existence. If anyone has any insight into this matter then I'd really appreciate it. Is the pursuit of wisdom and the pursuit of a better world central to the culture of LSE?
Reply 1
Have you checked out the Institute of Development Studies (part of Sussex University). It’s ranked #1 globally for Development Studies (including Development Economics) and is part of a VERY active political scene.
I heard talks from several of the professors whilst studying at Sussex who’ve done some amazing inspirational good for the world.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Yeah it is. You only really get the Investment Banking sort of culture within the Economics/ Finance departments, which is fair enough cause that's what people aspire to do so it's nice talking about the industry with like-minded individuals.

You'll be going into the Politics department I assume. Completely diff vibe. You'll meet some opinionated individuals (there are many schools of thought at the LSE, e.g. we have societies for Conservatives/ Liberals/ Hayek etc.) but it's all intellectual debate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending