The Student Room Group

Which email provider should I choose (Gmail or Outlook)?

Hi guys,

Today I got a letter saying that my email account (with Virgin Media) will be closed soon, so I need to find a new email provider. The two that were suggested in the letter were Gmail and Outlook, but I don't have any experience with Gmail, and only some experience with Outlook in school and college.

I have a couple of questions for each of these:

Is Gmail secure?
Can I access an Outlook account from any computer? I can't seem to find a straight answer to this.

Which would you recommend? Thanks! :smile:
Both are secure, both can be accessed from anywhere with Internet connection. If you use Microsoft products alot, get outlook, if you use Google products alot, use Gmail.
Outlook is not an email provider. Outlook is a program that you use to access your email.
Original post by BlueSam3
Outlook is not an email provider. Outlook is a program that you use to access your email.

It is an email provider now... you can get @outlook.com addresses...

Haha whoops! I'm not brilliant with technology :colondollar:
Original post by Xphoenix
It is an email provider now... you can get @outlook.com addresses...

Huh. Fair enough. Anyway, any free email provider is fine, take your pick.
Huh. Fair enough. Anyway, any free email provider is fine, take your pick.

I'm going to go with Gmail I think :smile:
Reply 7
I use Gmail and I am happy with the the interface and features
Original post by Leviathan1741

Congratz :party:
Original post by Leviathan1741

Yeah, that's a fine decision.

That being said, there's absolutely no reason whatsoever to have only one email address: I've got a personal one, a work one, a university one (well, two at the moment, but back down to one once I graduate), and a "signing up for stuff on the internet" one. They're all downloaded to the same email client and amalgamated automatically, but this way, if one of them (usually the last one, but also occasionally the work one) winds up getting a lot of spam, I can just trash that one without having to scrap all of the others at the same time.
Not had a problem with Gmail.
Gmail is the best option
Doesnt really matter,I would go for outlook.com email address, gmail is for gangstas

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by username2088165
Hi guys,

Today I got a letter saying that my email account (with Virgin Media) will be closed soon, so I need to find a new email provider. The two that were suggested in the letter were Gmail and Outlook, but I don't have any experience with Gmail, and only some experience with Outlook in school and college.

I have a couple of questions for each of these:

Is Gmail secure?
Can I access an Outlook account from any computer? I can't seem to find a straight answer to this.

Which would you recommend? Thanks! :smile:

Hi guys, I need some advice about converting data from gmail to outlook. I'm not very good at it. I'd like some help with it. Or some website where everything is well explained. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending