The Student Room Group

WJEC PY1 EXAM MONDAY MAY 16th!!!

Thought I'd make a thread on this because I'm stressing! I know everything, but it's just a matter of refreshing my memory now. Also, our teacher has changed our notes because the WJEC have altered the findings and conclusions of some studies and the length of the answers required from candidates?! Bit last minute! So I have to relearn some of them! Anyone else feeling the same??

Scroll to see replies

Wait, what kind of changes have they made to the findings and conclusions?
Reply 2
Hey I'm sitting this exam too. What changes have they made? And I stumbled across the example paper for the new exam and I realised the compare and contrast question :

A psychologist needs to explain to his client why they may be better using a therapyfrom a biological approach rather than a therapy from the cognitive approach. Usingyour knowledge of both approaches compare and contrast the cognitive andbiological approaches and their therapies.

In our class, the only compare and contrast question structure we have learnt is the NURDS structure (nature,nurture, usefulness,reductionist,deterministic,scientific) so can anybody help me with the above question!? Do we use the NURDS structure and just add a little bit on therapy? Or is the question solely based on comparing both therapies? Thanks!
Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by lololoh
Hey I'm sitting this exam too. What changes have they made? And I stumbled across the example paper for the new exam and I realised the compare and contrast question :

A psychologist needs to explain to his client why they may be better using a therapyfrom a biological approach rather than a therapy from the cognitive approach. Usingyour knowledge of both approaches compare and contrast the cognitive andbiological approaches and their therapies.

In our class, the only compare and contrast question structure we have learnt is the NURDS structure (nature,nurture, usefulness,reductionist,deterministic,scientific) so can anybody help me with the above question!? Do we use the NURDS structure and just add a little bit on therapy? Or is the question solely based on comparing both therapies? Thanks!
Good luck :smile:

You have to critically assess what they're asking. Our teacher said if it's asking 'AND their therapies' you talk about how both approaches and then talk about their therapies, but if it says 'cognitive and biology THERAPIES' you just talk about the therapies and nothing to do with the key debates i.e. nurture v nature etc. Hope this helped? For comparing and contrasting the therapies, talk about their methodology (drugs vs. dysfunctional thought diary, cognitive restructuring etc.) and such and throw in some evaluation points. So in this context it's asking you why the drug therapy is better than CBT so pick out some evaluation points that prove drug therapy is effective e.g. convincing research support and why CBT may not be suitable e.g. not suitable for those who have depression or lack motivation as they'll have to engage in their recovery outside the therapeutic setting which may be overwhelming and demotivating.
Reply 4
Original post by saiko291099
Wait, what kind of changes have they made to the findings and conclusions?

It's not much really. Have you got the WJEC book? Like the one with the cat, I think.
Original post by AndrewKn0x
It's not much really. Have you got the WJEC book? Like the one with the cat, I think.

Yes, I do.
Reply 6
Original post by saiko291099
Yes, I do.

It's basically in there. I think my teacher gave us a different version or something but the one you need to know is in that book
Reply 7
is anybody else completely overwhelmed with the massive amount of content needed for this exam?
Reply 8
Original post by eggdude
is anybody else completely overwhelmed with the massive amount of content needed for this exam?

There is a lot, yes. I'm okay with it because I've been over it so many times. The debates for unit 2 though are killers:angry:
Reply 9
Does anyone have trouble with the timing in this exam? It feels so full on doing questions and I get tired so I have to eat a lot of sugar before hand lmao. Also, what about predictions??
Does anyone have a link to the specimen paper wjec psychology 2016????
Hey, does any1 have any A grade sample answers for the contemporary debates? I only have the conditioning debate sample amswers and my answers aren't 20/20
I honestly struggle so much with the amount of content we need to know for this exam.. ahhh
Does anyone have trouble with the timing in this exam? It feels so full on doing questions and I get tired so I have to eat a lot of sugar before hand lmao. Also, what about predictions??

Not exactly a prediction, but the cognitive approach hasn't come up for question 1 on assumptions and theories in about 4 years now
Reply 14
You have to critically assess what they're asking. Our teacher said if it's asking 'AND their therapies' you talk about how both approaches and then talk about their therapies, but if it says 'cognitive and biology THERAPIES' you just talk about the therapies and nothing to do with the key debates i.e. nurture v nature etc. Hope this helped? For comparing and contrasting the therapies, talk about their methodology (drugs vs. dysfunctional thought diary, cognitive restructuring etc.) and such and throw in some evaluation points. So in this context it's asking you why the drug therapy is better than CBT so pick out some evaluation points that prove drug therapy is effective e.g. convincing research support and why CBT may not be suitable e.g. not suitable for those who have depression or lack motivation as they'll have to engage in their recovery outside the therapeutic setting which may be overwhelming and demotivating.

Thank you so much!!! Good luck :biggrin:
Original post by eggdude

YesYEsYEESSSS!!
Reply 16
What did everyone think? I have no idea how I've done but I hope I've done well:s-smilie:
I answered everything, but some of those 12 markers threw me off a bit because I didn't know what else to write about.
Thoughts?
I especially thought the 12 mark on the components of drug therapy was bit out there!!! Felt as if I couldn't write enough? Had to really just milk everything I knew about antidepressants/psychotics.....fingers crossed.
Reply 18
Original post by harrietrr
I especially thought the 12 mark on the components of drug therapy was bit out there!!! Felt as if I couldn't write enough? Had to really just milk everything I knew about antidepressants/psychotics.....fingers crossed.

Yess!! I wrote about antidepressants and antianxiety drugs and wrote a tiny paragraph on antipsychotic drugs (what I could remember because I hadn't really focused on it!)
Yess!! I wrote about antidepressants and antianxiety drugs and wrote a tiny paragraph on antipsychotic drugs (what I could remember because I hadn't really focused on it!)

It was just the type of question where you just feel really iffy about it gah! Also, I thought the Bowlby question was awfully vague too...I just wrote about the methodological and procedural problems....again another 12 marks which I just thought was really awkward to talk about ..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending