The Student Room Group

GDL exam advice...

Hi all,

Any help would be appreciated!

I've taken my first year GDL exams this week and have already convinced myself that I've failed and will have to resit! The whole thing is a blur and all I remember is trying to cram in everything I knew. Anyway I digress...

What I really wanted to ask is, as most firms require a first time pass in all GDL modules in order to qualify for a TC, what id the use in resits? To put it another way, if you've failed any GDL modules and had to resit, haven't you effectively barred yourself from getting a TC anyway?

Finding it very confusing and wish BPP would have given some indication of this before allowing everyone and their wife on to the course! (including me, haha!).

Any advice would be great xox
Original post by 90blouise
Hi all,

Any help would be appreciated!

I've taken my first year GDL exams this week and have already convinced myself that I've failed and will have to resit! The whole thing is a blur and all I remember is trying to cram in everything I knew. Anyway I digress...

What I really wanted to ask is, as most firms require a first time pass in all GDL modules in order to qualify for a TC, what id the use in resits? To put it another way, if you've failed any GDL modules and had to resit, haven't you effectively barred yourself from getting a TC anyway?

Finding it very confusing and wish BPP would have given some indication of this before allowing everyone and their wife on to the course! (including me, haha!).

Any advice would be great xox

I really don't know about the situation with the TC as I didn't go down that route, but I'd query whether solicitors firms always ask for a first-time pass; most of the pupil barristers I know weren't ever asked if they passed their GDL first time. But perhaps someone better qualified can weigh in.

However, what I would say is - don't beat yourself up about it. I was CONVINCED I'd failed one of my GDL exams. It was by far the worst exam I'd ever taken, and I spent at least half of the exam just staring at the paper. I was so upset for weeks between when the exams ended and when I got the results. And when I did, I found out I'd got a Distinction. The exam in question was still not a great mark (in the 50s), but it wasn't the sub-40 I'd been fearing. So my advice is not to panic - you really have no idea how you've done; and if it's a blur anyway, you may well have done much better than you think.

Best of luck!
Reply 2
Hi,

Thanks for the response :smile: The firm I'm doing a vac scheme with in Summer has specified first time pass, although you're right in that I don't know for certain that all others do!

And great to hear that you did you so well in the GDL and exceeded your expectations of the exam in question. I guess it is pretty difficult to assess your own exam performance in any objective way.

Will have to wait until results day...!

All the best :smile:
Sorry late.

If you are a good student, worked hard at the revision and practiced doing the mocks you will prob find you did fine.

The GDL qu I thought I had stuffed up as I answered half a qu before realising it wasn't the qu I thought it was and crossing it out and starting again turned out to be my lowest mark.

Land lAw, which I really struggled with but nevertheless slogged thru the revision qus I got 52 so still not even close to a fail. Not a distinction but who gets a distinction in land law?

So if you were a reasonably good student you prob passed it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending