The Student Room Group

Biology Exam

hello people, so i have my Unit 1 Biology Exam tomorrow and i don't want to sound big headed but im confident with the material. i have study leave in the morning and im wondering if anyone has any ideas of what i should to until the exam now? ive done a load of past papers, got notes and all..any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Sit back and chillax I guess
Original post by bluelemon512
hello people, so i have my Unit 1 Biology Exam tomorrow and i don't want to sound big headed but im confident with the material. i have study leave in the morning and im wondering if anyone has any ideas of what i should to until the exam now? ive done a load of past papers, got notes and all..any advice?

Id listen to some gcse podcasts- mygcsepod is good or do even more past papers...every little helps and you might find there was something small you might have missed

skim read the specification, and read in detail the past examiner's reports.
The spec tells you everything you can possibly need to know, and the examiner's reports tell you what most people did wrong in the last years
Reply 4
Can you explain GM please? If you are confident

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by emunia123
Id listen to some gcse podcasts- mygcsepod is good or do even more past papers...every little helps and you might find there was something small you might have missed

shall do! Thanks :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by z_o_e
Can you explain GM please? If you are confident

Posted from TSR Mobile

Genetic Modification? if so, its not for this years exam but the year after so not revising over it atm :smile:
Reply 9
Genetic Modification? if so, its not for this years exam but the year after so not revising over it atm :smile:

What do you mean

Posted from TSR Mobile
I literally just asked the same question so I have no idea but Good Luck<3

should have specified, doing edexcel. thanks though :smile:
Original post by z_o_e
What do you mean

Posted from TSR Mobile

i dont need to know about GM for my exam tomorrow
Original post by z_o_e
Can someone explain this

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is a mutation in the gene of the bacteria
This means the non resistant bacteria are killed and the resistant bacteria survive
the resistance bacteria reproduce and a whole population of the resistant bacteria survive

I think i might have missed a point of but not sure e.e
Original post by LaurenHannahL
I literally just asked the same question so I have no idea but Good Luck<3

haha good luck to you too! xx
Original post by z_o_e
Can someone explain this

Posted from TSR Mobile

check out question 8 (a) on this

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BL1HP-W-MS-JUN14.PDF

It's not the exact same, but it may help a bit
aah okay, thanks :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by IAmAnTroll
There is a mutation in the gene of the bacteria
This means the non resistant bacteria are killed and the resistant bacteria survive
the resistance bacteria reproduce and a whole population of the resistant bacteria survive

I think i might have missed a point of but not sure e.e

This is wrong as what you're talking about is natural selection. For genetic modification you must use enzymes to cut out the gene for resistance from DNA from another source, and use enzymes to cut a hole in the DNA of a plant cell whilst the plant is still only a made from a few cells. The resistant gene can then be inserted into the plant's DNA- making that cell resistant and as that cell is cloned by mitosis eventually the entire plant will be resistant.
Original post by z_o_e
Can someone explain this

Posted from TSR Mobile

Genetic Modification:
- Locate gene in the DNA
- Cut out this gene using restriction enzymes
- Splice this gene into the other animal/plant's DNA, in the correct section of the DNA.
( - Use ligase to 'stick' the gene back to the new DNA ) <This is optional, usually not on GCSE mark scheme
- Do this at an early stage of development, so that all the plant/animal cells can have a copy of this gene in their cells when they are fully grown (via mitosis) (Again, the mitosis bit is optional)
(edited 7 years ago)

That's not the spec that tomorrow's exam is based on... that is the spec for the exams for the people that start learning in 2016...

Quick Reply

Latest