The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Argghhh!!! Section B was ok..but A, with the materials was quite hard !! I've buggered it up ! Urghhhh. I hate my school. I hate my thing of a teacher who didn't give us any theory lessons. I actually could have ripped his smarmy little head off when i saw him after the exam.
Reply 2
I think it went kinda OK....totally messed up on concurrent manufacturing though! I had no clue so wrote something about an item being made straight after the previous item had been finished or something... lol logical huh!?
And the last question oon section B was a bit strange, cant even remember it but something to do with automation...
Was OK, meh.
Reply 3
And our lecturer isnt the best either...Spent the whole year doing the coursework in class, and a couple of weeks on the theory stuff.
Design paper on Monday!! argghg.
Reply 4
Tuesday??
Reply 5
yeah tuesday, sorry.
Reply 6
Scared me then ! :P

Any idea what wood is meant to be used for the boards?? :s
Reply 7
Sorry...

I wasnt thinking about using wood, was thinking of using an auiminium tube frame, with vinyl sheet on it, and the frame can fold down.
I dont know much about wood...MDF?

Eughggh dreading it!
Reply 8
Hmm...we looked at the display boards within school, and all of them had wood in them, covered in foam, and a velcro loop material. And the alluminium frame. I hadn't thought about vinyl but you wouldn't be able to out pins and stuff in it..?
Reply 9
Yeah we looked at the display board within college too, all were as I described.
Looked exactly like this (but with different graphics obviously)
http://www.design-matrix.co.uk/exhibition/3x3copy.jpg
As for "removable 2D signage" the vinyl is removable?
Wasnt thinking about using pins and things...just goes to show how different teaching is in different schools and college and how different minds think!
Reply 10
rhos77
I think it went kinda OK....totally messed up on concurrent manufacturing though! I had no clue so wrote something about an item being made straight after the previous item had been finished or something... lol logical huh!?

thats exactly what i did! ergh
apart from that and the fact we ahdnt been taught anything by our teachers, i felt that it went ok.
Reply 11
inteerestinggg, seems like no teachers anywher teach anything fo unit 4
Reply 12
nope, no-one that i know has been taught any
all of our time was spent on coursework and then unit 6 stuff
it seems a little unfair that everyone is left to self teach cad/cam and materials
Reply 13
Yep its very unfair! Something should be changed about the way the whole course is set out or something...Or teachers improve!
Though saying this, 50% of the exam is common sense, or knowledge we should have picked up while doing the coursework.
Reply 14
Yeh that's true, i found a lot of the exam yesterday was quite common sense based
and lots of materials stuff is often included in your coursework project too
Reply 15
starting to panic...i feel i should have more information and research!
I have the makr scheme from a paper a few years ago where you had to design a POS display thingy...which is kinda similar to what we will be set I expect, so that should be helpful...similar marking schemes i expect!? arggh...
Reply 16
I haven't really done any work for this unit yet, im doin it now though, maybe left it a bit late. At school we worked on Unit 5 projects all year, never did any work on unit 4 and we spent about a week at the end of term on this when no one could be bothered.
Reply 17
exactly the same as me simnor. kinda sucks a bit!
Reply 18
I have found a site that is helping me right now, it is http://www.discountdisplays.co.uk/, choose a display stand type, and then choose a type of stand from the next page, and on most of them if you scroll down, there is a PDF setup guide, which is great for details for this exam.
Reply 19
wow thanks for simnor that is great!!

Latest