The Student Room Group

Regretting Uni Choice

Hi,
About a month ago I posted a similar thread asking for advice on this issue, but am getting increasingly more stressed about it so am posting again.

Basically, a few weeks ago I firmed Nottingham to study English and Spanish. However, this decision was made in a rush as accommodation was running out and my school was pressuring me to make a decision. Furthermore, I turned down really prestigious unis such as Edinburgh, Warwick and Bristol and am predicted 3A*s at A level, having achieved 10A*s at GCSE, so had quite a good chance of getting into a very high uni. I chose Notts because the course, location and campus suited me the most and I didn't particularly like my other options but now I am really really worried that I have made a mistake by choosing a lower ranked uni (obviously Notts is still very good and I really like it there) and have wasted my potential. Furthermore, my offer for Nottingham is unconditional so I feel like my revision is for nothing. I'm so torn as I know I would enjoy Nottingham and prestige is not the be all and end all, but my doubts are making it hard to revise; every time I sit down to work, I end up looking at league tables and forums. Ultimately, I know that the uni I have chosen fits me best, but does anyone know what my options are at this point? i.e. Am I tied to the one I have chosen or is it possible to switch? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :smile:
League tables aren't everything! You could go to a so-called great uni, but if you hate the course/location etc then you aren't likely to do very well anyway. If you feel that Nottingham is the best choice for you, then that's the uni you should go to. Don't feel like the unconditional offer means your revision is for nothing, think of it as taking some of the pressure off :smile:
Congratulations on getting an unconditional offer. That is a great achievement! The pressure is off for your revising so enjoy this rare opportunity but still try your best. You're overthinking the revision thing. Revise and do your best like you always have done which is obvious with your scores.
I had someone advise me once that it is where you received your last education that counts. For example: It is better to go a 'less prestigious' uni for undergrad and make great scores to allow you to get into a top notch graduate school. People will ultimately only remember where you went to graduate school. But, potentially you could go to a very competitive uni for undergrad and only be able to get into a mediocre grad school - they'll still just remember your grad school. Does that make sense?
Regardless Notthingham is a wonderful uni and if it is where you feel the best fit that is what is ultimately most important. I know someone who was thrilled to get into Harvard but absolutely hated being there once he started. He didn't like the course structure or even the other students. He ultimately dropped out - no matter how prestigious he was miserable and he was making good grades. He finished his degree at another university w/out the same prestige level but he was much happier and still landed a great job.
It sounds like you made your selection for the right reasons so it will be a good fit for you and you'll enjoy your course and your overall experience I'm sure. Then after making great grades because you were so happy you'll be in a great position for applying to a top grad school if that is what you want or on track for a great job. Good luck.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Belmar
Hi,
About a month ago I posted a similar thread asking for advice on this issue, but am getting increasingly more stressed about it so am posting again.

Basically, a few weeks ago I firmed Nottingham to study English and Spanish. However, this decision was made in a rush as accommodation was running out and my school was pressuring me to make a decision. Furthermore, I turned down really prestigious unis such as Edinburgh, Warwick and Bristol and am predicted 3A*s at A level, having achieved 10A*s at GCSE, so had quite a good chance of getting into a very high uni. I chose Notts because the course, location and campus suited me the most and I didn't particularly like my other options but now I am really really worried that I have made a mistake by choosing a lower ranked uni (obviously Notts is still very good and I really like it there) and have wasted my potential. Furthermore, my offer for Nottingham is unconditional so I feel like my revision is for nothing. I'm so torn as I know I would enjoy Nottingham and prestige is not the be all and end all, but my doubts are making it hard to revise; every time I sit down to work, I end up looking at league tables and forums. Ultimately, I know that the uni I have chosen fits me best, but does anyone know what my options are at this point? i.e. Am I tied to the one I have chosen or is it possible to switch? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :smile:

You made the right decision going for the uni which offered the best overall package to you. League tables don't make a person happy for 3 years nor do they make the job hunt any easier except perhaps for law and investment banking.
Reply 4
Thanks so much, that is all very reassuring :smile: I'm sure you're right and I'll probably work a lot better in an environment i'm comfortable in. I guess I just want to be able to say that I go to a prestigious uni, which is quite shallow really, and as you said, it doesn't guarantee happiness. Hopefully once I get there I'll realise that I made the right decision.
Reply 5
Original post by Belmar
Thanks so much, that is all very reassuring :smile: I'm sure you're right and I'll probably work a lot better in an environment i'm comfortable in. I guess I just want to be able to say that I go to a prestigious uni, which is quite shallow really, and as you said, it doesn't guarantee happiness. Hopefully once I get there I'll realise that I made the right decision.

By the way, there will be other people at Nottingham with A*A*A*.

It's a perfectly good and well respected university. Go there and get a First :smile:

Also, don't ease up on your work just because you have an unconditional. Your A-levels will also be important on your cv for future potential employers.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Belmar
Hi,

You would've wasted your potential by going to a uni higher ranked on the league tables that you hated. Hating a place can have a seriously detrimental effect on your academic prowess. The name of the uni won't save you when you wind up getting a 2:2 or worse. It's far better to have a 2:1 from a uni slightly down the league tables than a 2:2 from somewhere two positions higher.

As I've said before in this forum, people need to stop being such snobs.
Reply 7
Yes, I do agree with everything you've said and I feel that Notts is the overall best choice. The only thing is the typical offer for languages is ABB. Obviously, there will be others with the same grades as me but I'm worried that having such a range of levels may affect seminars which are based around oral discussion. For example, at the moment there are 3 students in my Spanish class at school and the other two are quite a few grades lower down than me which can limit the discussions which we have in that language. My point is not that they are not good at Spanish, just that they aren't very confident in speaking in it in lessons, especially in front of me as they feel that I am better at it than them. (Even though they are 2 of my best friends) My teacher has said various times that it would be good for me to be practicing with people at my own level. I hope that made sense without sounding too arrogant!
Original post by Belmar
Yes, I do agree with everything you've said and I feel that Notts is the overall best choice. The only thing is the typical offer for languages is ABB. Obviously, there will be others with the same grades as me but I'm worried that having such a range of levels may affect seminars which are based around oral discussion. For example, at the moment there are 3 students in my Spanish class at school and the other two are quite a few grades lower down than me which can limit the discussions which we have in that language. My point is not that they are not good at Spanish, just that they aren't very confident in speaking in it in lessons, especially in front of me as they feel that I am better at it than them. (Even though they are 2 of my best friends) My teacher has said various times that it would be good for me to be practicing with people at my own level. I hope that made sense without sounding too arrogant!

It depends how linguistically intense the course is-I know at some language courses at some unis, language modules aren't even compulsory on supposed "language" courses. Plus on your year abroad, you'll be able to practise with native speakers which will result in your ability improving so much, provided you actually make the effort to talk to native speakers while you're out there.

People on language degrees get more confident with their speaking as their language advances.

Besides, entry requirements mean nothing when it comes to people's language ability. For the course I wanted to do at Nottingham, the entry requirements were AAB, whereas for Sheffield, where I am now, the entry requirements were ABB. However, at Sheffield, the instruction of language is infinitely better than at Nottingham. Sheffield operates a full immersion programme, whereas the Nottingham course is taught entirely in English (even the YA) and language modules are optional after the YA, so Sheffield people end up more employable than Nottingham people, despite the lower entry requirements, due to their vastly superior language ability. Prestige means so much less than naive 6th formers think.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending