The Student Room Group
Are you talking about the synoptic module? We have been told to basically revise all the modukes we have studied in basic detail as well as Life Death and Beyond according to the Old and New Testament! I hope this is of some help!
it really depends on wat 4 studied during the year, so every1 will have done different areas so u just gotta revise, religious experience, religious authority OR life, death and beyond, n in the exam u will have to answer one question (2 parts A(20marks) & B(30 marks))on ur topic area of study so mine will b religious authority, anyways wish u luck 4 ur exams
Reply 3
It will depend on what faith you have covered for the last two years. I studied Islam so I'm expecting questions relating to Muhammad's revelations and Sufi mysticism.

There are three topics to choose from, and you will have to do two of them. We've studies all three topics so I guess we have the advantage of choice. I'm a bit cloudy on NDEs, so I'll be brushing up on them as some of the past questions have been relatively straight-forward on that topic (i.e. describe the characteristics of a near death experience).

None of these questions ask you to give example from one specific faith, so if you know about religious authority within Christianity and Islam, you could draw from examples of both (which is what I'll be doing).

Good luck!
Reply 4
purplejellosg1
Are you talking about the synoptic module? We have been told to basically revise all the modukes we have studied in basic detail as well as Life Death and Beyond according to the Old and New Testament! I hope this is of some help!

Yeah its the synoptic module, i just don't really want to revise all of my AS stuff for it aswell as some the A2 stuff i got.
Reply 5
Looking at the past papers it seems a bit optimistic to simply revise all your past units (well, most of the units we have done are completely useless for synoptic). We had no help from our teacher either, I'm thinking of doing Religious Experience as we did that at AS, but I'm a bit worried about questions asking for the effect religious experience has had on religions/founding of religions as we've never really looked at it from that perspective.

Has anyone had any help for the synoptic?

Tom
There are three topics to choose from, and you will have to do two of them.

Are you sure? From what I've seen of the papers, there are 3 topics, with 2 questions in each topic, but you only have to do one question, and only 1 topic.
Reply 6
Saxon

Are you sure? From what I've seen of the papers, there are 3 topics, with 2 questions in each topic, but you only have to do one question, and only 1 topic.

;yes; I think you only have to choose one question from your chosen section, e.g I have chosen religious authority and will have the choice between 2 questions in that religous authority section.
I have checked out some of the past papers and I think that's right
. :smile:

;no; we haven't had much help at all. Our teachers gave us examples of the past papers, ad basically told us to research stuff and get out our AS notes. Meh.
Reply 7
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
I gonna do authority. Easiest! and common sense
Reply 10
Well if you're doing RS12 then you've either done experience, authority or life after death. We've done life after death but it's a load of self teaching really...Just do a religion u know most about!God, Philosophy was abit :eek: or teacher just sits there talking. She spent 3 months talking about the Book of Job and nobody knew why.
Saxon

Yup we spent half a term on life death and beyond with our teacher. It kind of surprises me the amount of people on here that have barely been taught about it. It is synoptic but there is still some stuff you need to know for the exam!
Reply 12
I'm doing life after death and there is a lot to learn: spirituality, religious beliefs about the afterlife, the importance of life now, symbols of life and death, eschatology :frown: . Oh well looks like I'm gonna have to do a bit of 'selective revision' and hope that the topics I revise come up :rolleyes: .
(edited 11 years ago)
I am scaaaared!
Our lovely teacher has made us a revision booklet (we're doing experience) and on the front of it, it says:
Specification: The typology of religious experience, the influence of religious experience as a source of faith, religious practise and moral behaviour, experience as the foundation for religious movements, validity and verification of religious experience.

at the bottom: This is a very flexible unit. You should use a range of information and ideas from the areas we have studied over the course. You will have to answer one question on the exam paper from a choice of two. The exam will last for 1 hour 30 mins, it is equivalent to 20% of the whole A level and so is very important.

Eek.
People doing experience what examples and scholars are you thinking of revising?

I've got William James' PINT for mysticism, and the example of sufis, visions I have examples such as St. Bernadette's visions of Mary at Lourdes, St. Teresa of Avila's visions of Jesus, conversion experiences I've got Umar's conversion to Islam and St. Paul road to Damascus and Starbuck's self surrender/volitional conversion definitions and Rambo & Fahardian's stage model of converstions, revelations I have Muhammad and the Qur'an. For general definitions and typology I have a definition by Ninian Smart of what a religious experience is, and Stace's 8-fold list of features of religous experiences...validity/verification St Teresa's 3 fold test, Ockham's razor, Swinburne's principles of credulity & testimony.

I'm just thinking though, I don't think I have enough A02:confused:
shortysally
People doing experience what examples and scholars are you thinking of revising?

I've got William James' PINT for mysticism, and the example of sufis, visions I have examples such as St. Bernadette's visions of Mary at Lourdes, St. Teresa of Avila's visions of Jesus, conversion experiences I've got Umar's conversion to Islam and St. Paul road to Damascus and Starbuck's self surrender/volitional conversion definitions and Rambo & Fahardian's stage model of converstions, revelations I have Muhammad and the Qur'an. For general definitions and typology I have a definition by Ninian Smart of what a religious experience is, and Stace's 8-fold list of features of religous experiences...validity/verification St Teresa's 3 fold test, Ockham's razor, Swinburne's principles of credulity & testimony.

I'm just thinking though, I don't think I have enough A02:confused:

For mystical experiance i have WT Stace's 8 points + internal and external experiances, James' PINT + 'fruits of experiance', Otto, Bonaventure, Occam's Razor. Then as an example i have either Paul on the road to Damascus or Ian McCormack's near death experiance/mystical experiance/conversion (good when asked about how relevant rel exp is in the 21st century). As an example for conversion there is also Timothy having a volitional experiance from growing up with a christian mother. Then i have examples of Revelation and the Shechinah Glory- Moses and the burning bush, Moses recieving the 613 laws on top mount sinai (leads to moral behaviour), how revelation can be seen in visions, prayer, meditation, etc. Visions i have St Teresa of Avila gaining knowledge through a series of visions, most famous was with an angel with a spear topped with fire which was shoved into her heart. Also have Swinburne's 2 principles, quotes from David Hay and A.J. Ayer.

I'm so scared, i had to re-teach myself all this crap because we ran out of time in class. But, to be honest, it's all common sense isn't it? I plan on bringing in ethics and/or influence of the scriptures in for synotic links and all that jazz. And secularization can be brought into every exam anyway. and it sounds good because its a long word. :smile:
is having examples form two different religions (Christianity and Judaism) enough? Also, do you u have some stuff on 'ordinary rel. exp. prayer worship etc.
Reply 18
R00fles!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
You all sound very much more prepared than me, be confident :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending