The Student Room Group

A Level Choices - Classical Civilisation?

Hi,

So next year I will be starting the dreaded A Level courses :frown:(
So my original options were:

English Literature
History
Psychology
Chemistry

However, I'm thinking of switching History out for Classical Civilisation, I haven't taken either of those subjects as GCSE's too btw. I think that I'll enjoy CC more than History, but I've really had no insight as to how hard it would be.

If there are any CC students out there, could you please tell me what the level of difficulty it is as an A Level? And do you think I should just stick with History?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by igcsessuck
Hi,

English Literature
History
Psychology
Chemistry

However, I'm thinking of switching History out for Classical Civilisation, I haven't taken either of those subjects as GCSE's too btw. I think that I'll enjoy CC more than History, but I've really had no insight as to how hard it would be.

If there are any CC students out there, could you please tell me what the level of difficulty it is as an A Level? And do you think I should just stick with History?

Hi,

I was in a similar position to you last year , however I was unable to do CC because my sixth form stopped offering it, so I am now doing philosophy and ethics instead, although I didn't pick CC, I have spoken to a lot of people who do it and have done a lot of research into the course.

CC is very similar to english literature in that you will be studying ancient greek and roman plays and books , but you have a greater emphasis on context, so it is a great mix of english and history. So I would say to pick CC because most people who do it haven't done it at GCSE either and it is very enjoyable.

Hope this helps !
Original post by igcsessuck
Hi,

English Literature
History
Psychology
Chemistry

Hiya! I've moved this into the Classics forum, so hopefully some people who are doing Classics at the moment can help you out :h:
Hi:smile: last year I took CC and History and personally for last year's courses I found History a lot harder to do well in. Like people have said, Classical Civilisation is much more like English and will be focuses on literary analysis and readings than on facts or systematic analysis like History so choose whichever one you're better at or you enjoy more, because you'll spend a lot of your time on the subject! Hope this helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wish I could have taken CC instead of History (IB). :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending