The Student Room Group

Need help with the process, so accomodation is with maintenance?

Hi,
it my first applying to uni here. So, student finance i will apply in the next 2 days for my unconditonal offer. So yes I get that it pays for the cost of the course but about accomodation and living costs does it pay the whole of it or do I need extra money? I've been looking at halls of residence and it's either £3500 for the year self catered or £6300 catered which i'm not decided about. I don't think I will get additional funding to the £3800, so would say I have to get £2500 amount + other costs for general food/ going out/ joining clubs?
Okay so there are effectively 2 loans.

The First one is the tuition fee loan. You don't see this money, it gets sent straight to the Uni and pays for the tuition =)

The second one gets paid to you. I'd deffo get your parents to submit their income, you never know.. I would personally go for the self catered option. You get money left over and it's usually the better option. You might not like the food or like if you have to eat at specific times of day or stuff like that. Plus are you really going to spend almost £3000 on food? =S that's ridiculous!

But if your parents won't help maybe try an interest free overdraft or get a job = )
Reply 2
Maintenance loan does not care about how much your accomodation costs. It gives you money depending on your parents income, and you can do whatever you like with it. Most people choose to pay off their accommodation.
Reply 3
Original post by cuppa
Maintenance loan does not care about how much your accomodation costs. It gives you money depending on your parents income, and you can do whatever you like with it. Most people choose to pay off their accommodation.

"choose to". Surely you HAVE to pay off the accomodation. The one I am looking at is £5300 self catered with an en suite. Would you pay for it as a lump sum or by weekly? So I would need over £2000 from my parents just to cover accomodation then I would need to use that money to balance out joining clubs, freshers and gym right.
Reply 4
Original post by Jackieox
Okay so there are effectively 2 loans.

The First one is the tuition fee loan. You don't see this money, it gets sent straight to the Uni and pays for the tuition =)

The second one gets paid to you. I'd deffo get your parents to submit their income, you never know.. I would personally go for the self catered option. You get money left over and it's usually the better option. You might not like the food or like if you have to eat at specific times of day or stuff like that. Plus are you really going to spend almost £3000 on food? =S that's ridiculous!

But if your parents won't help maybe try an interest free overdraft or get a job = )

but i will be getting an en suite so it's difficult to say cheaper either way! I didn't realise this!
Reply 5
Original post by krs121
"choose to". Surely you HAVE to pay off the accomodation. The one I am looking at is £5300 self catered with an en suite. Would you pay for it as a lump sum or by weekly? So I would need over £2000 from my parents just to cover accomodation then I would need to use that money to balance out joining clubs, freshers and gym right.
well of course you HAVE to, but some people are lucky enough to have their parents pay for accomodation and leave the maintenance for everything else.

You'd usually pay it over three terms. You'd pay the same/round the same amount in autumn and Christmas, and usually less in spring due to the term being shorter. Maintenance will be paid termly too. Your rent might be £2000 in autumn term, but maintenance may only be £1200, in which case you'd have to find the extra money. Accomodation you can often pay off in one lump sum before you move in, but most cannot afford to, as like I mentioned - maintenance loan is termly.

Basically with your maintenance loan you'd have to ask your parents for extra money for rent every term, and extra money for survival.
Reply 6
Original post by cuppa
well of course you HAVE to, but some people are lucky enough to have their parents pay for accomodation and leave the maintenance for everything else.

You'd usually pay it over three terms. You'd pay the same/round the same amount in autumn and Christmas, and usually less in spring due to the term being shorter. Maintenance will be paid termly too. Your rent might be £2000 in autumn term, but maintenance may only be £1200, in which case you'd have to find the extra money. Accomodation you can often pay off in one lump sum before you move in, but most cannot afford to, as like I mentioned - maintenance loan is termly.

Basically with your maintenance loan you'd have to ask your parents for extra money for rent every term, and extra money for survival.

Thank you very much for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending