The Student Room Group

SFE not paying me for this year

I am currently enrolled on doing resits without attendence as I failed the 2nnd semester modules due to a mental health issue I was dealing with. I was not aware that I wouldn't receive maintenance loan for doing part-time without attendance and I have already booked my accomodation and moved in. I will need to pay rent soon so I need the SFE loan to pay for it as my parents can't afford it on their own. Is there any possibe way I can get maintenance loan this year even though I am doing it without attendence (I have already contacted my uni about it and they said they can't change it to with attendance). If anyone is wondering, I booked an accomodation as I was planning on continuing year 2 in 2nd semester which I found out is not possible. However, I intend to use my time here to look for internships/ jobs where I can refer to my course and act as a placement year alongside completing my assignments. If anyone has any idea on how I can get assistance with my student accomodation rent please let me know.

Thanks
Original post by ssunvk
I am currently enrolled on doing resits without attendence as I failed the 2nnd semester modules due to a mental health issue I was dealing with. I was not aware that I wouldn't receive maintenance loan for doing part-time without attendance and I have already booked my accomodation and moved in. I will need to pay rent soon so I need the SFE loan to pay for it as my parents can't afford it on their own. Is there any possibe way I can get maintenance loan this year even though I am doing it without attendence (I have already contacted my uni about it and they said they can't change it to with attendance). If anyone is wondering, I booked an accomodation as I was planning on continuing year 2 in 2nd semester which I found out is not possible. However, I intend to use my time here to look for internships/ jobs where I can refer to my course and act as a placement year alongside completing my assignments. If anyone has any idea on how I can get assistance with my student accomodation rent please let me know.

Thanks

Have you checked how easy (or otherwise!) it would be to cancel your accommodation contract and return to your parental home during your "without attendance" resits?

Alternatively, you may just need to get a job. I don't mean "internships/ jobs where I can refer to my course". I mean any job which pays enough to cover your rent.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Have you checked how easy (or otherwise!) it would be to cancel your accommodation contract and return to your parental home during your "without attendance" resits?

Alternatively, you may just need to get a job. I don't mean "internships/ jobs where I can refer to my course". I mean any job which pays enough to cover your rent.

Obviously I thought about cancelling my accom contract and going home for the year but I would still need to oay for the time I have stayed here which I won't be able to cover alone. I do want a job, I know how long the proccess is to getting an internship/ placement so I have been looking for full time jobs I can work here that is related to my course so I can use this year for experience instead of wasting it. I also applied to an online digital course I can take for free which is funded by the governent and am regularly using the university's resources such as the careers team and library. I am not staying here just do nothing but I will need to pay rent soon which is why I'm asking for help on getting funding for that. Thanks for your help though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending