The Student Room Group

UEA or York?

Hey guys, I am international student so I havent seen the campus of both Univesities. Anyway, I cannot decide where to go. UEA seems as a better choice as its only 2 hours from London (from where I am flying home) and one hour from sea. Also the accomodation is cheaper (and probably the whole city?!) I also should not take an IELTS exam. On the other hand, York Uni has got a better reputation - but, does it? for who? I mean, when it is not Oxford or Cambridge.. I am really not sure if there is a big difference between 19th place and 29th place in ranking. Also the UEA has got better ranking in student satisfaction... Can anyone help me?:smile:
Reply 1
Hi,
I`ve visited UEA and can say the campus is actually quite nice, nice and open campus and its ten mins by bus to the town centre.

Regarding deciding, maybe use the following sites to see stats for those who`ve studied the course and read some reviews if there are any:
UniStats
Complete University Guide
Whatuni
Whichuni

Also, maybe post in the uni forums you might get replies from students and get their insights

Good luck :smile:
York is much higher rated and it's psychology department is meant to be really strong too.
Original post by Anahoj
Hey guys, I am international student so I havent seen the campus of both Univesities. Anyway, I cannot decide where to go. UEA seems as a better choice as its only 2 hours from London (from where I am flying home) and one hour from sea. Also the accomodation is cheaper (and probably the whole city?!) I also should not take an IELTS exam. On the other hand, York Uni has got a better reputation - but, does it? for who? I mean, when it is not Oxford or Cambridge.. I am really not sure if there is a big difference between 19th place and 29th place in ranking. Also the UEA has got better ranking in student satisfaction... Can anyone help me?:smile:

Look at the course content to see which course you'd prefer, that can make a huge difference.
Original post by Anahoj
Hey guys, I am international student so I havent seen the campus of both Univesities. Anyway, I cannot decide where to go. UEA seems as a better choice as its only 2 hours from London (from where I am flying home) and one hour from sea. Also the accomodation is cheaper (and probably the whole city?!) I also should not take an IELTS exam. On the other hand, York Uni has got a better reputation - but, does it? for who?

So let's give you some of the hard facts first. This week's Guardian League Table for Psychology put UEA 9th in the country over the other university you mentioned which is at 18th place. In this year's Complete University Guide we were overall ranked 14th in the UK compared to the alternative at 19th place. We were also ranked, as you rightly point out, 2nd for student satisfaction in the whole of the country in the National Student Survey, meaning we're not only reputable but our students are happy too! All stats we're very proud of!

As you say, it's only part of the reason for choosing a university. We have great links to London. It's only two hours away by train, and we're less than an hour away from the seaside and Great Yarmouth, Cromer, Sheringham and West Runton (all coastal) are easily accessible by train. The Unistats website - when you compare the two institutions and courses - show a similar amount of students being satisfied with the course. However we do have more students happy with our Student Union, we have more students who go on to work or further study, and we also have cheaper living costs such as accommodation here in Norwich. It's also a safe city, and an incredible city... as the video below demonstrates!

I would recommend having a good research of the resources available on the internet for all the institutions you're looking at. Whether that's videos on YouTube, blogs from existing students, and so on.

This is our YouTube channel (take a look at the Psychology video!) - http://youtube.com/ueaofficial
We have some great student bloggers writing about their experiences here - https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/student-life/student-blogs
There's this Norwich A-Z guide (PDF file) - https://www.uea.ac.uk/documents/3154295/0/Norwich+Amazing+A-Z/7fb425ee-ab41-4bd1-9a4e-14b3bbd69df2
And the newly launched #AskUEA where you can ask us questions and get really useful answers - www.uea.ac.uk/ask

I will leave you with this video of what it's like to study here in Norwich and Norfolk :smile:

[video="youtube;FuiyHqxvK8A"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuiyHqxvK8A[/video]
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anahoj

Hello,

At York we believe world class research is the foundation of a great department. We are ranked 4th for research in the latest UK Research Excellence Framework (REF). The department is also a top 100 department in the most recent QS World Rankings.

The department has state of the art research facilities including our own imaging centre, YNiC, with fMRI, MEG, TMS and EEG. This year our new sleep lab opens as well as dedicated labs for studying face perception and labs for our neuropsychology group, who investigate comprehension difficulties in stroke patients.

All our research facilities are used by undergraduates, including the opportunity to undertake research using our brain imaging facilities. We think we're the only department in the country to have such undergraduate involvement in research.

If you want to be in easy reach of London, trains from York also take around two hours and leave every 30 minutes. You are also 25 minutes from Leeds and an hour and a half from Manchester which are also large cities. You can get a train to the seaside town of Scarborough in 50 minutes. York is a railway hub sitting on the mainline between London and Scotland and centrally placed in the UK for seeing the rest of the country.

Current Psychology student Katie has been blogging about her course and York since last year and you can read her posts here:http://blogs.york.ac.uk/student-voices/author/knd502/

There's more information about student life at the University of York and about the City of York here: http://www.york.ac.uk/study/student-life/

If you have any further questions for me, please feel free to get in touch. My contact details are here: http://www.york.ac.uk/psychology/staff/faculty/pt2/

Good luck and I'm sure whatever you decide you will have a great time in the UK.

Best wishes,
Professor Peter Thompson
Department of Psychology
Hi Anahoj!

I hope you are well and not getting too nervous or worried about the build up to uni life - you'll have a ball i'm sure. I am a current Psychology BSc student here at York, and it's personally the best decision I've ever made.

As Professor Peter Thompson mentioned, there are a number of blogs you can read from a Psychology student, written for prospective students like yourself so do visit those. There is also an interview with Pete in there so you can get a sense of the student-staff relationship, the support and encouragement we receive from staff in our department is really very special.

You mentioned the prices of living in York being higher, but I wouldn't say that is true. There are around 9 college choices for accommodation, all at varying price and standard so that you can choose an affordable, but nice, place to live whilst here. Being a campus uni, there is a lovely sense of community and especially in Psychology as we have our own department - so every day you come to the building you'll recognise students and staff as they all form the Psychology community.

It is also beneficial for you to bear in mind that University of York is a Russell Group university and so is considered very valuable on your CV and job applications.

Take a look at how the courses are run too; in York, we learn a huge variety of aspects relating to Psychology for 2 full years before branching off - so you're not pushed into making decisions too early on. We also get the opportunity to carry out 4 mini project experiments of our own within our first 2 years - your very own research projects! It's professional and exciting and is a great addition to your CV.

We have a huge group of students enthusiastic to represent our University, and particularly Psychology, on open days as we are all so proud to be a part of this incredible, world class, research department. We get taught by Professors who literally wrote the books we learn from!

But as Pete said, I'm sure you will make the right decision for you and enjoy your University years.

Best of luck!

Katie

Quick Reply

Latest