The Student Room Group

2016 AQA Physics Unit 1 - Unofficial Mark scheme

Hello everyone! Lets get to work on making a mark scheme, if you could post your questions and answers below that be great!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oddle
Hello everyone! Lets get to work on making a mark scheme, if you could post your questions and answers below that be great!

Completed mark scheme, hope it's clear and a good indication of what you got in the exam, good luck!
1. Frequency ( 1)

2. Echoes (1)

3. spread out, same as (2)

b) vibrations are parallel to the direction of energy transfer (2)

4. Expensive as National Grid is a long distance away from rural areas (1)

4b) ADVANTAGES
constant supply, little variation in output
£30k cheaper than wind turbine
renewable resource
doesn't produce as much noise as wind
No CO2

DISADVANTAGES
could ruin ecosystem by preventing free movement of fish
May need maintenance unlike wind
Lower power output - 8W compared to 10W

Wind - ADVANTAGES
higher average output
Needs little maintenance
renewable resource
Easily expanded
No CO2

DISADVANTAGES
Eyesore
noise pollution
Wind speeds vary, meaning there could be times of under- or oversupply
Costs 50k, 30k more than HEP (6)

5. inefficient as less or little energy used to heat food as heat is lost as infrared radiation to the surroundings(2)

uses of infrared(1) : remote controls, optical fibres

uses of microwaves(1): mobile phones, satellites

b) properties of microwaves and infra red radiation (2): can diffract, can refract, travel same speed in vaccuum, both transverse waves, can be reflected transverse• same speed (through air)• can be reflected• can be refracted• can be diffracted• can be absorbed• transfer energy• can travel through a vacuum• can be polarised• show interference

calculation questions, 340 m/s for first one (2) then 78 degrees(3) , then 6.4 watts(2) then 0.07 degrees/s (2) efficiency question was 0.48 W (2)

6. Fins increase surface area and black matt a are good absorbers of heat (2)

7. cosmic microwave background radiation (1)

b) provides evidence for the big bang theory (1)

10. They keep costs as low as possible as efficiency does not increase as much but the cost goes up rapidly , ( give example and data figures to secure the marks) (2)

11. why france will still use nuclear power(2) : cost of electricity is cheaper(1) and produces much more electricity(1) , produces no greenhouse gases like co2(1)

12. Disadvantages of nuclear power stations(2): raw materials are non- renewable, high decommissioning costs, produces radioactive waste. Risk of nuclear disasters.

13. factors that affect rate of energy transfer of mug(2): room temperature, surface area , how shiny it is( not sure about this one) and colour of the mug

b) particles gain kinetic energy and collide more frequently, passing on their extra kinetic energy to other particles .(2)

c) how is a convection current formed in the mug(4): liquid at the bottom is heated and particles gain kinetic energy and move away from each other, this makes the liquid less dense , causing it to rise and displace the denser colder liquid at the top , the denser particles then fall and is heated again.

14) control variable for the investigation measuring rate of evaporation (1) : same beaker or same type of beaker, same position in the room., same thermometer .

b) why is the data logger better(2): more accurate (1) , easier to read(1) , more precise (1) avoids human error (1)

15 relationship of the graph comparing 3 types of beakers and their rate of evaporation(1): as time increases, rate of evaporation decreases.

b) Beaker A(1) gradient of the line is the lowest and the final temperature is the highest of em all

c) If investigation was repeated with lower volume , what effect would it have(1) : rate of evaporation will be higher (1)

Why evaporation causes temperature to decrease (3): particles with enough kinetic energy and travelling in the right direction will escape the liquid and evaporate and take their kinetic energy with them , which means average kinetic energy of particles in liquid is lower and thus temperature is lower.

16) why a vacuum reduces energy transfer (2) : no particles so stops energy transfer by conduction , convection.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ihatehannah
1. Frequency

2. Echoes

3. spread out, same as

4. Expensive as National Grid is a long distance away from rural areas

5. inefficient as less or little energy used to heat food as heat is lost as infrared radiation to the surroundings

calculation questions, 340 m/s for first one, then 78 degrees , then 6.4 watts then 0.07 degrees/s

for the rural one could i have put that it would be expensive connecting to the national grid so the amount of electricity generated wouldn't be worth it?
Original post by B3ASTy
for the rural one could i have put that it would be expensive connecting to the national grid so the amount of electricity generated wouldn't be worth it?

I wrote somthing along those lines too
The efficiency calculation answer was 0.48W
Reply 5
Original post by charliej2802

Yeah I put that
Did anyone else put 22 degrees, think i messed it up
Reply 7

I got that too :smile:
Reply 8

I put that aswell i think its wrong
Reply 9

I added it to the 100 to get 122

You'll probably get a mark or two for that, you only missed out one step.
Posted from TSR Mobile
No, basically the temperature change was 22 and 100 - 22 = 78 which is the final temp

You forgot to subtract that from 100, so 100 - 22 = 78*C
Reply 13
The reason why it's not 22 is because 22 was the temperature change meaning you had to take it away 100 which gives you 78
Original post by trishka

I think you're meant to take it away from 100 to get 78 :frown:
Reply 15
I think it is 78 as 22 was the temperature change so you minus it by 100 to get the final temperature which is 78
Reply 16
The correct answer was 78 degrees i think, which is 100-22
Original post by trishka
I got that too :smile:

Wasnt the answer that x100 because there was x100 at the end of the equation?

I think you'll still get 2 marks out of the 3
Original post by trishka

I did that too - I'm sure we'll still get a minimum of 1 mark :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Trending

Trending