The Student Room Group

National Youth Theatre 2017

Hi I'm auditioning for NYT in London on the 15th of Feb 2017. Just wondering if anyone else is auditioning and if any members have advice on what style of monologues are good/bad choices.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by BroadwayFlyaway
Hi I'm auditioning for NYT in London on the 15th of Feb 2017. Just wondering if anyone else is auditioning and if any members have advice on what style of monologues are good/bad choices.

Hi, I just finished my course this year and it was great! (Senior Course, I'm 18)

I would just say do something that you're comfortable with. There are lots of people on other threads saying do contemporary monologues but I did a Shakespeare and got in first time, which apparently is really quite unusual - I loved my monologue and therefore did it well coming out of the audition feeling happy with my performance.

I would say do something that plays to your strengths and something in your age range. SO MANY people do dark, depressing monologues and it's really boring for the audition panel to see them over and over again.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
ok, thank you! I've been really stressing as to which monologue to choose but after hearing that I'm going to go for one I'm comfortable with. Also what type of things do they ask you in the interview?
Reply 3
Original post by BroadwayFlyaway
ok, thank you! I've been really stressing as to which monologue to choose but after hearing that I'm going to go for one I'm comfortable with. Also what type of things do they ask you in the interview?

From what I can remember, they asked me things such as why I wanted to be a part of NYT, what I like doing outside of acting, how I found the audition morning and some more typical things - just be yourself and you'll be fine.

Another thing is in the audition morning you really have to listen and respond to everybody's ideas to come up with ensemble work, ensemble isn't something I was very experienced with but as long as you listen and respond then you should be ok!
Thats really calmed my nerves, because its my first time auditioning so I have no personal knowledge of what its like, thanks for answering my questions.
I'm going to audition, still need to pay for the audition though. Also really stuck on what monologue to choose.
Original post by WhovianMadness
I'm going to audition, still need to pay for the audition though. Also really stuck on what monologue to choose.

same i don't know whether to do a Shakespeare one or not.
Yeah, I've seen a lot of people say not to do Shakespeare, but then also plenty of people saying they got in with Shakespeare so I don't really know.
Reply 8
Original post by WhovianMadness
Yeah, I've seen a lot of people say not to do Shakespeare, but then also plenty of people saying they got in with Shakespeare so I don't really know.

That's a load of rubbish actually. I got in first try with Shakespeare and so did a lot of people on my course. It doesn't matter either way.
Hi guys, Im just wondering say if I got in in 2017 but couldn't make the dates for the masterclass (as I am going on holiday right at the end of August) what would happen? Would I lose my place and have to audition again the following year?
Original post by mcaffrey
That's a load of rubbish actually. I got in first try with Shakespeare and so did a lot of people on my course. It doesn't matter either way.

Yeah like I said, there's some controversy over Shakespeare, either way I am stuck on choosing a monologue. Finally booked my audition today which gives me 2 months to decide and rehearse which isn't very long tbh.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Roadmanhan
Hi guys, Im just wondering say if I got in in 2017 but couldn't make the dates for the masterclass (as I am going on holiday right at the end of August) what would happen? Would I lose my place and have to audition again the following year?

Yeh I asked them a similar question. The senior courses are two weeks from end of August to September and if you can't make it, you do have to re-audition next year. SO ANNYOINGGG.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending