The Student Room Group

Pharmacy recognition?!

What are ways for Pharmacists' to get more recognition? even though we study for 4 years, knowing all the drugs and effects, very very knowledgable compared to a doctor. I say, lets do a strike like the junior doctors have done, then notice how much we are needed and the respect we deserve and and and the money we need (a definite increase)!! that is my suggestion, any more?!

i just get fed up of people saying that we are not worthy, not giving us any attention etc when in fact that is FALSE.
Reply 1
Hi Gavin,

This sort of thing is tricky to achieve but I think a lot of progress has been made in the past 5-10 years. Pharmacists have certainly been getting greater attention from the public and it's good seeing patients encouraged to see their pharmacist rather than GP or going to A&E. Pharmacists are finding new roles and opportunities all over the place! Plus we're becoming a lot more involved in prescribing, and I reckon in a decade or so 95% of pharmacists will be independent prescribers. That's bound to be noticed by patients and fellow healthcare professions.

Having said that, the government are making some very questionable choices with regards to pharmacy. Obviously I'm referring to the proposed cuts to community pharmacy. It's completely counter-intuitive to make cuts while simultaneously suggesting patients should use their local pharmacy rather than the GP surgery or A&E.

Are you a member of the BPSA and the PDA? I'd say they're a great starting point for getting some recognition and having your voice heard. Check out their websites. In my opinion, if you want change, you have to go out and work for it. So take a vocal role!

This article is quite aspirational: http://www.bpsa.co.uk/what-could-the-role-of-the-pharmacist-be-in-the-future
Reply 2
Original post by TB147
Hi Gavin,

This sort of thing is tricky to achieve but I think a lot of progress has been made in the past 5-10 years. Pharmacists have certainly been getting greater attention from the public and it's good seeing patients encouraged to see their pharmacist rather than GP or going to A&E. Pharmacists are finding new roles and opportunities all over the place! Plus we're becoming a lot more involved in prescribing, and I reckon in a decade or so 95% of pharmacists will be independent prescribers. That's bound to be noticed by patients and fellow healthcare professions.

Having said that, the government are making some very questionable choices with regards to pharmacy. Obviously I'm referring to the proposed cuts to community pharmacy. It's completely counter-intuitive to make cuts while simultaneously suggesting patients should use their local pharmacy rather than the GP surgery or A&E.

Are you a member of the BPSA and the PDA? I'd say they're a great starting point for getting some recognition and having your voice heard. Check out their websites. In my opinion, if you want change, you have to go out and work for it. So take a vocal role!

This article is quite aspirational: http://www.bpsa.co.uk/what-could-the-role-of-the-pharmacist-be-in-the-future

Thank you! yes I'm a member of KUPSA at my university where we do petitions and mini conferences discussing issues! and thank you for the response!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending