The Student Room Group

Problems due to Dianette?

Scroll to see replies

i took dianette from about age 14-17..the side effect i noticed was that i would be sick about 3 hours after taking it (if i took it in the morning)..i then changed to taking it before i went to bed and that stopped it

i've recently gone back on it and am feeling quite miserable..quite possibly because of dianette..or maybe because of the crappy weather haha!
Reply 21
I've been taking it for PCOS (mainly aimed at irregular periods). I think after this month I'm stopping anyway but I've noticed that I've gained weight (even though I'm eating the same food, same activeness) and I am ALOT more depressed. My emotions are really all over the place and my boyf puts up with alot of it. Around the time of my period, I'll get really upset and depressed over things that usually wouldn't get me upset at all?!

I'm goin to see the effects after coming off it, hopefully it all gets better
Reply 22
I was put on Dianette for PCOS a while back but my doctor said you shouldnt be on it for more than 6 months and switched me to Marvelon which contains less anti androgen than Dianette but has similar effects without the risks Diannette has. Ive been on Marvelon for about 2 years now with no weight gain or other side effects that Dianette has.
Reply 23
Ive been on Dianette for a while and never had any problems whatsoever

Also the thing about not being allowed to take it for over 6 months isnt true according to my GP, as I specifically asked about it- he said it depends on the person and how they get on with it: if you dont have any problems they are happy to let you carry on taking it- I think Ive been on it for over a year now. Also, Dianette isnt prescribed as a contraceptive only, as its actually only 85% effective as a contraceptive

But if you have any problems with Dianette you should go and see your GP straight away- as you should with any contraceptive pill
thisbemadness
Ive been on Dianette for a while and never had any problems whatsoever

Also the thing about not being allowed to take it for over 6 months isnt true according to my GP, as I specifically asked about it- he said it depends on the person and how they get on with it: if you dont have any problems they are happy to let you carry on taking it- I think Ive been on it for over a year now. Also, Dianette isnt prescribed as a contraceptive only, as its actually only 85% effective as a contraceptive

But if you have any problems with Dianette you should go and see your GP straight away- as you should with any contraceptive pill

Only 85%? I got told by my doctor it was as good as any other contraceptive pill if you take it properly :s-smilie:
Reply 25
legotraintrack
Only 85%? I got told by my doctor it was as good as any other contraceptive pill if you take it properly :s-smilie:

When I went last week for my pill check up the nurse said to me "you're not using this for contraception are you as its only 85% effective". I actually wasnt aware of that until then, but thank god Ive not had any problems! :s-smilie:
If dianette was only 85% effective, do you think your doctor would tell you its an effective contraceptive? And risk 15 out of 100 pregnancies? Id like to point out it doesnt state that any where in the SPC of dianette http://emc.medicines.org.uk/emc/assets/c/html/displaydoc.asp?documentid=1814
Its not a licensed contraceptive no, but is stil used as such and is effective.
Reply 27
Anonymous
If dianette was only 85% effective, do you think your doctor would tell you its an effective contraceptive? And risk 15 out of 100 pregnancies? Id like to point out it doesnt state that any where in the SPC of dianette http://emc.medicines.org.uk/emc/assets/c/html/displaydoc.asp?documentid=1814
Its not a licensed contraceptive no, but is stil used as such and is effective.

Well my doctor didnt tell me it was an effective contraceptive, thats the point Im trying to make. Im only taking it for my skin and not using it for contraception anyway, and its a well known fact that Dianette is not prescribed just as a contraceptive

Dont have a go at me, Im only repeating what my nurse told me!!
Lol sorry wasn't having a go, just wanted to say if any other people are on dianette, can put the fear of god in ya if your having unprotected sex an you hear its not affected, especially if its via a health professional :biggrin:
Reply 29
Anonymous
Lol sorry wasn't having a go, just wanted to say if any other people are on dianette, can put the fear of god in ya if your having unprotected sex an you hear its not affected, especially if its via a health professional :biggrin:

No problem, like I say I was quite shocked when she said that and Im not overly convinced its true, as shes the only person thats ever told me that, and my GP never said anything, nor the previous GP who gave it to me
Yeah, my GP said it was just like a normal one, and gave me all the contraceptive bumph (leaflets and stuff) when I was prescribed it.
He said it just wasn't prescribed as a contraceptive alone in the UK because of the higher health risks than normal pills.

In Canada they didn't used to (they still might not now... not sure!) have any qualms about it at all, and it was actually advertised on TV as a fantastic thing to take - no spots or babies! Lol.

Don't know if that's the case now. All drugs are hit and miss with different people though :smile:
Reply 31
Yeah, it says in my booklet that it's not supposed to be used if all you want is contraception because of the higher risks involved with it, but it doesn't say it's less effective.. Never heard that before!

What other pills have you tried for your skin that had less side effects maybe?
Yasmin has been mentioned before and I took that a while ago, not because of my skin though, my skin was fine then, but I think I never had any problems with it.. So maybe I'll try that one again then. I didn't know it was supposed to be good for your skin.

I should start the next Dianette pack tomorrow, but I'm really not sure I should because of these horrible headaches.. I know there's no guarantee it's because of the pill, but it does seem fairly likely... I'm scared my skin will immediately get worse if I stop taking it though :frown:
Not sure this is right but when I first went on the pill a friend reccommended this for my skin; but my GP said he wouldn't prescribe it since it gives a much higher risk of deep vein thrombosis? Yasmin is really good - but if you don't need the contraceptive effects I used to be on oxytetracycline which were really good antibiotics.
Reply 33
I've been on antibiotics before, but they've always just worked while I was on them and everything went back to the way it had been once I stopped.. And you obviously can't take antibiotics forever.. Admittedly, the pill isn't much better if it only works while you're on it.. Argh, how annoying. I think I will definitely ask my doctor about Yasmin again..
I went to the doctors a couple of days back and mentioned that I felt like I'd put on quite a lot of weight since I'd been taking Dianette. She said that studies have shown that very, very few women actually put on weight BECAUSE of the pill, and everything about it increasing your appetite is more or less a myth for most women!
Reply 35
I took dianette for years and wanted to go back on it to make sure I had lovely skin for my wedding (I had no problems with dianette), I was told I couldnt have it but given yasmin instead which REALLY didnt agree with me and I had to come off. I pretty much had the same symtoms your discribing now. I would say stop taking it and go see your docs asap and get moved to something else.
Not sure if this thread is active anymore, but...

I've been on Dianette for about 6 months, it's been a miracle cure for my skin (though I only saw a difference at around 4 months in) - I only have minor breakouts now which is great.

But the cons... I've put on weight (about 10kg which is a lot if you ask me), my clothes are definitely tighter and it doesn't seem to stop going up despite controlling my calorie intake and doing daily exercise (I use the MyFitnessPal app to count calories daily).
I've also suffered from major mood swings, including suicidal lows. Although I've suffered from depression in the past, this pill has definitely made this worse.
For the above two reasons, I'm switching to Yasmin. Apparently my family say you can't tell I've put on so much weight but I definitely FEEL fatter, so I'm hoping it'll come off and the spots will stay away. We shall see...
Reply 37
Hi,
I was on Dianette for my skin and like you saw an improvement, I was taken off dianette due to problems that girls were experiencing, its recommended that you don't stay on it for more than four years, i'm on a different brand of pill and my skin has stayed fine so try not to worry about that, there are other brands of pills that help with skin problems! e.g marvelon and yasmin
It may be wise to come of dianette as they can cause terrible problems, which you know first hand! My sister experiences terrible migraines and as a result can only use the mini pill it may be worth trying that to see if there is any improvements?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending