The Student Room Group

Maths - Imperial or Bath?

Hi - asking some advice: I've applied to Imperial but did terribly in MAT yesterday (exam was fun (it's maths so it's always fun) but i was on back-foot with prep due to disability).
I'm therefore thinking of switching uni choices on UCAS - whilst I still can - to Bath. Would this go against me? In that, would Imperial and Bath realise I've had a late change of heart? I applied last Friday.
I've already had an unconditional offer from Bristol, as I've achieved A levels, but had to take a gap year due to a disability.
Due to my disability a supportive atmosphere is v important to me. I like the course at Bristol and love pure maths. However, I'm wondering if Bath might be a good alternative to Imperial and if there is any downside?
I'm not sure London is the best place for me: in terms of cost and attitude/atmosphere - and as long as I can do maths it doesn't have to be anywhere super-competitive.
Long-term I doubt I'm going to work in finance/the city so being in London for work experience is not really in my plans. Although I do need to think what I am going to do with maths long-term - rather than just problem-solve: which is what I would spend my life doing if I could.
Original post by maths2024.
Hi - asking some advice: I've applied to Imperial but did terribly in MAT yesterday (exam was fun (it's maths so it's always fun) but i was on back-foot with prep due to disability).
I'm therefore thinking of switching uni choices on UCAS - whilst I still can - to Bath. Would this go against me? In that, would Imperial and Bath realise I've had a late change of heart? I applied last Friday.
I've already had an unconditional offer from Bristol, as I've achieved A levels, but had to take a gap year due to a disability.
Due to my disability a supportive atmosphere is v important to me. I like the course at Bristol and love pure maths. However, I'm wondering if Bath might be a good alternative to Imperial and if there is any downside?
I'm not sure London is the best place for me: in terms of cost and attitude/atmosphere - and as long as I can do maths it doesn't have to be anywhere super-competitive.
Long-term I doubt I'm going to work in finance/the city so being in London for work experience is not really in my plans. Although I do need to think what I am going to do with maths long-term - rather than just problem-solve: which is what I would spend my life doing if I could.

Hi!

I don't believe changing your UCAS choice will have an effect on how Bath see your application so you will still have the same chance of getting an offer as long as you are within the 14-day window.

If you think a smaller city with a stronger community feel would suit you better there is nothing wrong with changing your mind! The most important thing is that you are comfortable and happy with where you are.

Also in terms of careers and life after university, this will probably become more clear to you as you go through your degree, however, if problem-solving is what you love to do, you could look into going into research and academia - just something to think about!

I hope this helps!
Florence (Lancaster University student ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest