The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Storthes Hall - AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i like ur thinking.
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Reply 21
I have paid £50 to have the "privilege" to park my car at Storthes, thinking it would be safe. I have found my car in a state where someone has run my bonnet and stomped on the roof of my car, and my car alone. This is not a personal attack just random. Storthes accept no responsibility for the vandalism caused to my car and the CCTV camera's that over look the thousands of pounds worth of vehicles in the car park are covered by water droplets I saw when reviewing the footage with the security men who had just come back from a walk around to check up on things. Three quarters of the screen was obscured, this is NOT acceptable and I would NEVER recommend anyone to live here. I brought it up with the head of Storthes and he informed me that they are not allowed, by law, to sit and monitor the cameras. I do not expect this. I expect the cameras to be able to catch the picture of anyone's face who causes such damage to someone elses property.

But yet he contradicted himself because multiple times we've had himself and security come up to our flat accusing us throwing things out the windows and playing with laser pens. We have never thrown anything out of the window and we have harmlessly played with the block opposite with the laser pens. But if they're by law not allowed to sit and monitor us how come they knew this and told us they' seen us on camera?

The head of Storthes has also entered out flat without prior notice and walked into my female flatmates room, whilst she was alone in our flat, and opened her door, stood in the middle of her room and accused us of tampering with the windows so we can smoke, even though all the windows including bedrooms and the kitchen were broken when we moved in and we're all down on our application forms as non smokers, which we are, accused us of tampering with the fire alarms and propping our bedroom doors open which apparently we're not allowed to do.

This is only a few of the intimidating times we've encounted as well as threats and verbal abuse from people we consider to be there to keep us safe and be professional. Storthes is a shambles and they only good thing I can say about it is some of the best friends I've ever had live right on my doorstep.

Yeah people'll say "you must have just had a bad experience"
Well yeah, you don't need to tell me I have it's quite clear.I don't appreciate someone damaging my car and then Storthes fob me off. The quality of their cameras should be able to pick up on something like that if ever needs be. I'm kept awake till 4 sometimes by a flat opposite and Saville seem worse! I don't mind people having parties and being rowdy and loud. I live in student accommodation, but when it's every night, varying on the time, it really grates on you.

Having looked around other accommodations when looking at unis others were so much more modern and clean and actually looked like you could see where your money was being spent. Here I feel like I'm just paying for some fat bald man to drive and Audi and shout at me. Great.

Anyone who thinks of coming to Storthes you seriously need to weigh up the pros and cons.
Want to pay to make friends for life who live right next door, more for the social side?
Or want to be treated like equals with the people above you and live in better quality for a few quid more?
Quite a lot has changed since 2007 I think in the way of staff, as most of the people you come into contact with are decent. What I don't like is that they do the bare minimum in terms of controlling the noise. They will only see to excessive noise if you ring up to complain and they don't take the initiative. They completely mislead customers into thinking that Storthes is one of the only places for students to stay and that its 'one of the best student accommodation experiences in Huddersfield'. They also say it is 'the University of Huddersfield's preferred, recommended and approved student residence'. The University obviously gets paid to indorse it. Being a naïve student at the time, under the impression that this was one of the only places on offer, of course I went to it, and I thought it would be great.
But the reality is that to live in Storthes you have to travel 20 minutes by bus twice a day,you have a small room, very little supplied and you have to pay foreach clothes wash, which can be up to a ten minute walk from the flat, depending on which building you're in. You pay £100 a week for Storthes.
Recently however I have discovered that you can house or flat share in the centre of Huddersfield for less than £80 a month which includes bills. The accommodation will almost always be a lot better in private digs. You don't have to put up with the noise, you have anice short walk into town and the University. You'll also get nice rooms, usually twice the size of the ones at Storthes. To summarise very simply, Storthes isn't bad but for the price you pay, its ****ing disgraceful.
(edited 9 years ago)
Was just wondering what's the cheapest possible accommodation at Huddersfield?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
I've got a 5 bed house to rent out, £85per person per week bills and wifi included. 5 mins walk to train station, parking, 10 min walk to uni, it's right in the town centre, newly refurbished. If 5 ppl want to get together to rent let me know! Luke - 07590206300
Written English clearly wasn't your strong subject!!....How can paintwork be 'crippling'?
A kitchen can't be 'inequipped' - no such word!! Sentences begin with a capital letter & Ridiculous use of punctuation & 'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending