The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Commuting to Keele Uni, worth it?

Hey is it worth commuting to Keele uni from birmingham everyday?
Is it always 9 o clock lectures?
Reply 1
Yeh 9am is the earliest,

Why not go to birmingham uni :P ?
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Reply 2
Didn't get In.
If I were you. Id rather have accomodation at Keele, bt thats just a personal choice :smile:
Reply 4
I wouldnt have done it, as you dont get the most of out uni if you commute, imo anyway
Reply 5
Yes, i understand. But is it erm, how shall i put it, managable?
Reply 6
Sarah_Andrews
Yes, i understand. But is it erm, how shall i put it, managable?

I suppose so, depends if you like early mornings, cus if you have a 9am, it must take about 50ish mins on the train, then about 40 mins on the bus to get into campus. Unless you drive then it took me 1 hour 15 mins, but depends where in Brum you're from. As soon as you make friends i spose you can just crash at theirs after a night out. Just depends how outgoing you are, as you'd have to make more effort in getting to know people. If you're confident and outgoing enough and dont mind an early start then go for it.
Reply 7
Sarah_Andrews

Yes I did it for a year. The only problem you may have is junction 10 on the M6, (unless there is an accident of course). But if you go before the rush hour or afterwards it is no problem. When you get off the motorway at junction 15 there is a short cut. Have a look at the map, so you will avoid Newcastle. Lecturers dont always start at 9. It should take you about 1 hour.

You will miss out of the social life though, but Keele is a lovely place and there are always kind souls that will accommodate you.

In a couple of years they will be making that section of the M6 a toll road, so make the most of it before it costs £5+ each way.
Reply 8
I assume you guys all live on campus, in halls! What is the best hall, e.g. en-suite, double bed?
no halls have double beds.
if you want cheap: go for horwood
if you want best value for money: barnes or lindsay
if you want en-suit: holly cross and oaks
50 minutes is fine...

I do it to skl every day from lilliput to christchurch which takes me an hour on the train + the walk and I have to be at school by 8.30...

Once you get used to the early starts it is fine + I see the same 5 people every single day so you get to know them :smile:

You might be restricted with the social life as you would be limited with train times but other than that you can have as good a social life as you want + you get a lottt more money to spend on parties and doing the things you want to do instead of food/accomidation etc

In terms of cost it would be cheaper to get the train especially if you get a 16-25 railcard and season tickets
Reply 11
Sarah_Andrews
I assume you guys all live on campus, in halls! What is the best hall, e.g. en-suite, double bed?

Double bed?? you will be lucky. Rooms are about 8ft x 10ft. Barnes X is good. It has an ensuite as does Lindsay Court. But I found it very noisy at Lindsay, and the kitchens are tiny without an oven and shared with 3 others.
Reply 12
HAWTHORNSSSSSSSS

best character

barnes is good though.
Reply 13
Hawthorns does have a good comunity feel but barnes is far better all round.
Reply 14
I know people who commute from there, and stafford. I think they're mad tbh, you miss out on alot. But its your choice. I could commute in 45 minutes by car but I decided to live on campus and I'm glad I did.
Reply 15
Yup Keele is only 40 mins away from me but it was definitely the wisest choice to live on campus (in Hawthorns first year, off campus in Newcastle second year) and make the most of the social life and get best 'bang for your buck' with the thousands of pounds of debt you pay!
Original post by Sarah_Andrews

Hey I know your post is 15 years old, but out of interest did you ever commute from Birmingham? If you did, how was the experience? Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest