The Student Room Group

IB or a levels?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lulus1
Having watched friends go through the IB, I'm so glad I don't do it.
There's so much more to learn and you have to take subjects which you may not be strong in.
On top of the exams, there's internal assessments, extended essays, TOK and CAS. If you go to a college with loads of students and not much individual help, this will be so much more difficult. But if you get lots of teacher support it is manageable.
It's so much more time consuming than A Levels, and not respected any more or less and won't really have an impact on career prospects.
A lot of focus is apparently put on memorisation in IB too, rather than understanding and evaluating, so consider if memory is a strength of yours.
The only good thing about it that I've seen is that the IB students at school were like a little family, and also the exams finish so much earlier! You get over 5 months summer! But tbh I don't think thats worth it.

If it memory then I'm great and I would enjoy all subjects I've taken
Reply 21
Original post by Kaimich17.11
If it memory then I'm great and I would enjoy all subjects I've taken

thats what ive heard for biology anyway, but can't guarantee for other subjects!
Overall it seems so much harder than A Levels for not much gain, but everyone I know who does it seems to have a love/hate relationship with it haha
Original post by Kaimich17.11
What are the hard things in chemistry a level?

I cant really explain it as gcse feels like it was forever ago
It's just all the difficult to understand concepts as well as the application questions.
You can't just memories chemistry and this is the same for IB chemistry as well.
All I will say is that it is probably the hardest a level subject, probably alongside physics and maths
And I really do think the gcse chemistry should be made more difficult as you will see that it is pretty much shambles compared to the a level and doesn't prepare for a levels well unlike other subjects :/
Original post by tcameron
I cant really explain it as gcse feels like it was forever ago
It's just all the difficult to understand concepts as well as the application questions.
You can't just memories chemistry and this is the same for IB chemistry as well.
All I will say is that it is probably the hardest a level subject, probably alongside physics and maths
And I really do think the gcse chemistry should be made more difficult as you will see that it is pretty much shambles compared to the a level and doesn't prepare for a levels well unlike other subjects :/

Yes maths for me is like easiest subject ever I can get like full marks in every exam and when I had a look at in maths higher level that seemed pretty easy to be honest, biology also seems great but chemistry ugh no idea what is that asking part from I'm okay with only calculations. As well as you are true about that GCSE chemistry is basically no good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending