The Student Room Group
Johnt
If I fail English at GCSE, can I still do it at A-Level?

I KNOW I am good at English Language, since I got A's and B's in my coursework but the exams always push me for time...Also I risked the higher tier so will my college know this?

This is something you'd have to negotiate with your college.
I spect you're just being paranoid about your exams! You really needn't think about such situations until you get your results through. Chances are you probably did fine!
Reply 2
Johnt

I KNOW I am good at English Language, since I got A's and B's in my coursework but the exams always push me for time...Also I risked the higher tier so will my college know this?

I'd say you'd have a hell of a job convincing them to let you do it at a level if you don't pass GCSE. But if you got As and Bs in your coursework, that should pull your grade up a bit surely?
You need at least a pass in English to redo it at college. Good coursework does bring your grade up. I'm crap at literature but got an A for my coursework and managed to get a B overall. I spent half an hour on a poem in the anthology when I was supposed to do 15 mins on each one. I used ten mins at the end to do the other poem. That was a serious cock up and I stilll got a B so there's hope for EVERYONE!
It depends where you go, where i go even if you don't do english, you have to have a C or above. If you don't you have to re sit it in November and get a least a C, if you don't you are out. But different colleges/sixth forms do different things. I know a boy who got straight U's and still did whatever he wanted at college
well when i was choosing my alevels teachers looked at the grades we got to decide if we should do the subject..but i don't think you should worry yet-if you had good coursework you are hardly likely to fail completely...
Reply 6
Johnt

Surely if you get pushed for time in GCSE you will also struggle in A-level English? Normally you need a grade 'c' in english if you want to do it at A level
Reply 7
Not being funny, but if you say you're that good, you should find the exams easy at GCSE level, i finished with 30mins spare most of the time and came out with A* in eng lang, and A in eng lit. I struggle to understand the point of furthering something you cannot do well in.
Yeah, but some people get nervous in exams and can't manage their time well.
If you're struggling at GCSE, don't bother, you'll waste your time. More likely, you're just being paranoid and you should do it anyway.
Reply 10
Johnt

generally they lke you to have a C but they cant stop you
Why would you even want to do english at a-level if you haven't passed it at gcse?

I agree with what Dr. Blazed said.
Reply 12
You can still go onto to do A-level, but you need to resit GCSE English though.

Latest

Trending

Trending