The Student Room Group

Academic bookshops?

Heya, I was wondering if anyone could help, i've recieved a prelim book list so want to get some, but amazon/waterstones don't stock them. They are geography related and also related to ideas of Engels, Darwin, Kuhn, Lovelock, Malthus, Said etc and I require farily specific editions. Does anyone know any online stockists or shops in London that are likely to sell these kinds of books? I need to get them fairly quickly so can't really afford to wait weeks for delivery etc (although if was necessary would do so.)

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me! :smile:
Reply 1
You could try Blackwell's they tend to stock stuff Waterstones don't. If not any decent bookshop will be able to order the books for you as longs as its still in print and has an ISBN number.
Reply 2
It's always worth entering book names/ISBNs on www.bookbrain.co.uk. It's designed to help you find the lowest prices from stockists, but I've also found it useful for finding obscure online retailers who stock difficult to find books, as it searches a huge database and tells you who sells your item :smile:
Reply 3
awesome, thanks :smile: unfortunatly the list didnt come with any IBSN numbers or and ideas of where to get the books from! Just got the name or the books, the author, and editions. I'll try some of the leads you suggested though thank you. Does anyone know if there is a Blackwells around the Oxford Street area? (I've never heard of Blackwells before and there are not any around my area.) :smile:
Reply 4
OMG some of these books are REALLY expensive - over £30!!! omg they must be having jokes! Althought they said if I keep the reciepts I MAY be able to claim some of the costs back with a book grant - anyone know how easy these book grants are to get in Oxford?
Reply 5
some (most) of the books are not avaliable from blackwells or bookbrain.co.uk anyone got any more ideas? :confused:
Reply 6
emzie
OMG some of these books are REALLY expensive - over £30!!! omg they must be having jokes! Althought they said if I keep the reciepts I MAY be able to claim some of the costs back with a book grant - anyone know how easy these book grants are to get in Oxford?

i think its college-dependent; at ChCh everyone is entitled to a £140 book grant. i think it is better to borrow the books fromt he library as its chepaer and you dont have to worry about leaving them at home. i got through thte whole of the year without buying a single academic book (they were all from the library). if you do want to buy them, like people have said, blackwells is the best bet
Reply 7
Waterstone in Cambridge is really nice.:smile:
Reply 8
If you are in London, try Foyles or a Borders (There are 2 locations, both near Oxford st.) The larger Borders stores tend to stock some academic books- in my field at least... (Sociology and English).

I haven't decided where I will buy my books. I think for a lot of them, I can get them cheaper over here in the States. But I want to be sure and get the right edition. I'm really keen on finding some good used bookstores that stock Academic books. If anyone knows of some, preferably in London that'd be great!
Reply 9
:smile: thanks guys, i've decided to buy as the libaries around me are rubbish and don't stock any of them! I've now found most (still missing a few) and found most from http://www.swotbooks.com or indeed from Blackwells (Charing Cross, London) I hope I get the £140 book grant, if I get all the books on the 'vital to read list' it will cost over £150 already. Already, having only got 80% of the books it has cost over £100. Some of the editions they gave me are out of print or impossible to get hold of so i've had to get different editions, hopefully that wont be a problem. I think expecting us to read huge fat textbooks is a bit optomistic though! I'm not getting them until (IF) i get the grades!
Chiaussieuk
If you are in London, try Foyles or a Borders (There are 2 locations, both near Oxford st.) The larger Borders stores tend to stock some academic books- in my field at least... (Sociology and English).

I haven't decided where I will buy my books. I think for a lot of them, I can get them cheaper over here in the States. But I want to be sure and get the right edition. I'm really keen on finding some good used bookstores that stock Academic books. If anyone knows of some, preferably in London that'd be great!

I know of one in Cambridge: Galloway and Porter. Not used academic books but slightly damaged editions, and they're a lot cheaper than in the main bookshops. Otherwise it can be wise to wait til you get to university: you'll usually seem to find student offers in local bookshops soon after term starts (at least this is the case in Cam) and students in the years above are often selling off their old textbooks at lower prices.
Sophetta
What? £150???????????? What are all these expensive books? I was thinking about spending the money I won in school prizes on clothes etc. Now i'll have to wait until the results................

Textbooks are usually about £30 each, especially scientific or medical ones. So yeah, they are very expensive - bah :mad:
Reply 12
Try amazon marketplace second hand books are good!!

Latest

Trending

Trending