The Student Room Group

Can't find a countersignature for passport

Hey everyone,

I'm 22 years old and applying for my first adult passport. I had one previously but that was a child's one so even though I've had one before I have to go through the whole passport process as if I'm applying for my first one.

My problem is that I CANNOT find anyone to countersign it. Believe me I have read over the suggestions on the GOV website about 20 times and it's been no help at all. I don't know anyone with a professional career that's on that list. I was wondering if it were at all possible to get a passport without a countersignature if I go to the passport office for an interview?

I've looked on the GOV website and what it says is:

Your countersignatory must:

-have known the person applying (or the adult who signed the form if the passport is for a child under 16) for at least 2 years
-be able to identify the person applying, eg they’re a friend, neighbour or colleague (not just someone who knows them professionally)
-be ‘a person of good standing in their community’ or work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession

Could it be anyone in any profession as long as it's recognised? Like for example, a chef?

And what does it mean by 'a person of good standing in their community' ?

I really can't think of anyone who could sign for me.

Thanks!
Original post by louisejh
Hey everyone,

I'm 22 years old and applying for my first adult passport. I had one previously but that was a child's one so even though I've had one before I have to go through the whole passport process as if I'm applying for my first one.

My problem is that I CANNOT find anyone to countersign it. Believe me I have read over the suggestions on the GOV website about 20 times and it's been no help at all. I don't know anyone with a professional career that's on that list. I was wondering if it were at all possible to get a passport without a countersignature if I go to the passport office for an interview?

I've looked on the GOV website and what it says is:

Your countersignatory must:

-have known the person applying (or the adult who signed the form if the passport is for a child under 16) for at least 2 years
-be able to identify the person applying, eg they’re a friend, neighbour or colleague (not just someone who knows them professionally)
-be ‘a person of good standing in their community’ or work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession

Could it be anyone in any profession as long as it's recognised? Like for example, a chef?

And what does it mean by 'a person of good standing in their community' ?

I really can't think of anyone who could sign for me.

Thanks!

I got my first adult one without a countersignature,and i d actually had a name change at 16 so the child passport had the wrong surname. As i did it fast track, i went to the passport office to get it sorted and they had no issue with the lack of countersignature, as they could still tell it was me, luckily my 18 year old face surprisingly still has some resemblance to 5 year old me it wasnt a problem.
The Gov website does give a list of people that can sign. A chef isn't one of them.
Your doctor can sign it - he doesn't have to have personally known you for that length of time - you just have to have been registered there (might charge you a tenner or something) - your bank can also sign if you have had any sort of bank account
A teacher would also do because they have a degree - as that makes them a suitable professional - just ring up the passport office - they are really helpful.
Reply 5
Original post by Tiger Rag
The Gov website does give a list of people that can sign. A chef isn't one of them.

I literally said I've read and re-read and re-read again that list over 20 times so I'm aware of that, but a lot of people that can sign aren't necessarily on that list. Thanks for the useless reply.
Original post by Minionmum
Your doctor can sign it - he doesn't have to have personally known you for that length of time - you just have to have been registered there (might charge you a tenner or something) - your bank can also sign if you have had any sort of bank account

They have to know you personally and not in a professional way.
Reply 7

Ahh I've asked my doctors because they did my child's passport, but they don't do them anymore! And you're right that a banker/building society worker can do it, but I've asked them too and you have to know them personally because they don't want to get in trouble if something goes wrong haha. Thanks though..
Reply 8
A teacher would also do because they have a degree - as that makes them a suitable professional - just ring up the passport office - they are really helpful.

I'm not in school/college so I unfortunately can't do that.
Your doctor. Just have to pay
Your doctor. Just have to pay

Latest

Trending

Trending