The Student Room Group
Reply 1
You will be taught how to use the machinery. Health & Safety req.
Reply 2
Do most mechanical engineering degrees at most universities involve a lot of compulsory practical work? (Particularly Bristol University)?

I'm more interested in the design and theory sides of engineering and don't particularly enjoy practical work (I have a habit of damaging things and making mistakes in practical work, leading to injuries of myself and others!
:rolleyes: :biggrin: - I chose a really appropriate degree didn't I?!)

I've looked at the description of the course and there do seem to be quite a few hours of "labs" but I'm not sure what this involves exactly and what kind of practical work is done.

Thanks.
Reply 3
KR2004
(I have a habit of damaging things and making mistakes in practical work, leading to injuries of myself and others!
:rolleyes: :biggrin: - I chose a really appropriate degree didn't I?!)

I don't think I've ever actually injured anyone, but I'm not too great at practical work either. I can see me really trying people's patience when I get to Cambridge!
Reply 4
Mechanical Engineering seems to involve big scary machines. I'm currently worried about how much bodily damage I may to do myself and others in lab classes.
Reply 5
Exactly! I'm ok with small machines where the worst I can do is break the machine, it's big machines that could cause serious injury or death that I'm worried about!
I'm ok with machines like computers where you just press buttons, it's machines that involve large amounts of heat and moving parts that I shouldn't be allowed near! :biggrin:

P.S. Mysticmin, are you the other person on this forum who got a CCC offer from Bristol?
Reply 6
You don't have to do a lot of machine shop work :smile:
Reply 7
KR2004
Exactly! I'm ok with small machines where the worst I can do is break the machine, it's big machines that could cause serious injury or death that I'm worried about!
I'm ok with machines like computers where you just press buttons, it's machines that involve large amounts of heat and moving parts that I shouldn't be allowed near! :biggrin:

P.S. Mysticmin, are you the other person on this forum who got a CCC offer from Bristol?

I got an offer of ccc from bristol, dont know if you were on about me :smile: (?)

I cant wait to use all the machinery, but more for making art than aiding my engineering course!
Reply 8
I wasn't on about anyone in particular, I just knew that there was at least one other person on this forum who got an offer of CCC from Bristol for Mechanical Engineering.
I've met one other person at an open day who got CCC and there seems to be a couple on this forum that got CCC as well, must really annoy those people who got offers like AAB and ABB! :biggrin:
Reply 9
KR2004

Oh computers are very good, no protrouding sharp moving parts. Nah, I think that's Lidybetf.
lidybetf
I got an offer of ccc from bristol, dont know if you were on about me :smile: (?)

I cant wait to use all the machinery, but more for making art than aiding my engineering course!

I bet you'll end up with a really pretty and useful final year project :biggrin: compared to all the unartistic individuals harboured by Imperial.
Reply 11
bhp
OP
i also only need ccc to get into bristol!! how come people are getting such low offers, were there not enough people that wanted to do the course?
Reply 12
My friend also got an offer of CCC from Bristol :rolleyes: weird
figgetyfig
I know two people who are both off to bristol for mecheng... one with a CCC offer, and one with an ABB offer... confusing, huh?

u sure one wasnt a BEng, and the other MEng?
Reply 14
anyone know why ucl's offer for mech engineering is low?

Latest