The Student Room Group

Bath Business Administration or Warwick Management?

I am looking to do a management degree with strong financial elements as I enjoy and am good at maths. Currently debating which out of Bath and Warwick is better for such a course.
The Bath Business Admin has 2 six month placements, and in the final year you work on a real business problem which I can see as being brilliant for employability. However I would miss summer for these, and it would make the degree 4 years.
Warwick has a great reputation, with a good flexible course with strong financial elements. However the employability side of things is far weaker due to not having a placement, and less working with real businesses.
Which should I go for and why?
Reply 1
Warwick
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that while you lose your summers for the work placements don't they try to make up for it in the autumn/winter semester? The employment data from Bath's BBA is stronger due to the work placements offered but keep in mind that if you want to you can take a year out at Warwick to pursue a work placement (not guaranteed but they can help you find one) and if you're determined you can seek out local businesses with which to work alongside. Which to go for depends on your goals, Warwick is still traditionally seen as the stronger university in business studies and is better known in the financial world but equally employers (particularly general management and management consulting) will value the practical experience gained at Bath above all else. Have you visited both campuses? If so, which did you prefer? If you're sporty and after a more practical business education I'd side with Bath. If you're aiming for a Front Office role in finance (think investment banking and associated industries) and want a more flexible business degree with a greater range of modules, choose Warwick. May also be worth noting that more Bath students come out with 1sts and 2:1s than at Warwick which may suggest that the course may potentially be easier.
Reply 3
Original post by RunningBack34
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that while you lose your summers for the work placements don't they try to make up for it in the autumn/winter semester? The employment data from Bath's BBA is stronger due to the work placements offered but keep in mind that if you want to you can take a year out at Warwick to pursue a work placement (not guaranteed but they can help you find one) and if you're determined you can seek out local businesses with which to work alongside. Which to go for depends on your goals, Warwick is still traditionally seen as the stronger university in business studies and is better known in the financial world but equally employers (particularly general management and management consulting) will value the practical experience gained at Bath above all else. Have you visited both campuses? If so, which did you prefer? If you're sporty and after a more practical business education I'd side with Bath. If you're aiming for a Front Office role in finance (think investment banking and associated industries) and want a more flexible business degree with a greater range of modules, choose Warwick. May also be worth noting that more Bath students come out with 1sts and 2:1s than at Warwick which may suggest that the course may potentially be easier.

Oh I wasn't aware that they made up for it later on in the year! I've visited Bath and liked it (but didn't fall in love with it), and I'm going to visit Warwick this weekend so hopefully that might help. I think part of the problem is that I don't know my own goals - I'm still quite unsure about the future! Interesting about Bath students doing better - thanks for such a helpful reply!
Original post by jessb123
Oh I wasn't aware that they made up for it later on in the year! I've visited Bath and liked it (but didn't fall in love with it), and I'm going to visit Warwick this weekend so hopefully that might help. I think part of the problem is that I don't know my own goals - I'm still quite unsure about the future! Interesting about Bath students doing better - thanks for such a helpful reply!

If you want to leave a potential job in finance more open I'd recommend Warwick, the graduate employment stats at Bath also have to do with the mandatory work placements. Going to Warwick and taking on a work placement yourself would leave you equally well placed.
Reply 5
Original post by jessb123

The Bath Business Admin has 2 six month placements, and in the final year you work on a real business problem which I can see as being brilliant for employability.

However the employability side of things is far weaker due to not having a placement, and less working with real businesses.
Which should I go for and why?

Where did you get that idea from?
The only unis considered as top target schools for the best jobs in the best banks or top employers are: Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, Warwick, Imperial and UCL. It ends there.

Bath is good. I won't say it isn't. But to say Bath grads are more highly employable than Warwick grads is just plain WRONG. As a matter of fact, the reverse is likely true.
Reply 6
Why do you say that Bath has a placement and Warwick does not? You can do 2 six month placements if you want at Warwick.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending