The Student Room Group

Maths A Level advice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maths is Life
Your already said you dislike physics therefore statistics seems the obvious choice.

Ill tell you another story:
When my further maths teacher was teaching stats I did not pay attention nor understand it.
This was due to the fact that I was over interpretating questions.
When I started doing past papers I had barely any knowledge of the spec.
I did two past papers and felt confident with the spec.
Turns out I found it just as easy as C1 that I started completing past papers in 30mins.

The questions on stats papers are mostly generic ones year on year.
With the odd dodgy probability question

For example I did the WJEC S1 exam on wednesday and the only question I tripped up on was expected profit.

Turns out my method was right but I didnt write it down. And also my answer of £-1.61 was right but I crossed it out because I dont understand how someone can have a negative profit.

However this is only WJEC and their papers are becoming increasing awkward.
(It should have said expected loss🔥😡)

So if you do past papers and learn the method from mark schemes you should be fine.

Thank you! I think I'm going to do OCR as that's what my sister is going to do, but I've looked at the past papers and I think you're right that S1 does resonate well in terms of understanding what to do - I get so stressed in exams when I'm not 100% sure that the question relates to a specific topic if that makes sense. I'm hoping I can just dive in with past papers like you did, thanks again
Original post by elizahughes
Thank you! I think I'm going to do OCR as that's what my sister is going to do, but I've looked at the past papers and I think you're right that S1 does resonate well in terms of understanding what to do - I get so stressed in exams when I'm not 100% sure that the question relates to a specific topic if that makes sense. I'm hoping I can just dive in with past papers like you did, thanks again

This is maths.
You should google the percentage of people that achieve As and 100UMS.

Its so ridiculous compared to other subjects that most medicine and top universities ignore further maths...

Also - will you marry me?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest