The Student Room Group

The NBA 2019-20 Thread - Free agency is mad - Westbrook to Houston, CP3 to OKC!?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrDystopia
Yeah I've just seen that. I heard it was because he punched the whiteboard during Game 1.

Either way...that's not ideal lol. If he's carrying the team he's gotta be more disciplined (no matter how much JR Smith's mistake tilted everyone of the face of the planet).

For reference, a bone contusion is what kept Iguodala out for the latter stages of the WCF and first couple games of the Final.

It's sad how there's so many LeBron haters out there lol. If he reveals he was injured he's criticised as making excuses even if he revealed it in the pre game 2 conference, and then GS would've targeted that hand by making him dribble and shoot with it more often.

It all makes sense why he was blowing so many lay ups in the pain on his right hand (even if they were contested).

I hope he goes to San Antonio, then you have 4 teams that can legitimately challenge instead of three (those 4 being Spurs, Rockets, Warriors and Celtics).
Reply 1981
Celtics are not challenging and would have got swept the same way that Cleveland got swept even if Kyrie was playing. They have to make some big trades in order for that not to be the case(aka get LeBron or another elite SF).

When will people learn ffs?

It's been clear since Jan that GSW would win just going to playoff mode and if they faced Cleveland in the finals with the nonsense trades they made it was going to get ugly(see my prediction of it going to 5 games max, they were a free throw away from a 5th game).

As much as people want to see anyone else winning, you need to make another super team. If LeBron went to the Spurs/Rockets or Celtics, then maybe I could see them beating GSW. Other than that GSW are winning again. If they went to the rockets they can't trade a star player for them either. So this whole nonsense about LeBron for Harden wouldn't work either. Harden wouldn't go there and LeBron wouldn't want to ruin his finals record by getting knocked out in the WCF
(edited 5 years ago)
I'm just glad he's done with that saga, next year's finals should be so much more interesting.
Reply 1983
He injured his hand by not managing his anger and plays badly(well not even that badly) in the process. #
He gave up clearly because his team are bums and any guy on the warriors team who was in LeBron's situation would have done the same.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
It's been clear since Jan that GSW would win just going to playoff mode and if they faced Cleveland in the finals with the nonsense trades they made it was going to get ugly(see my prediction of it going to 5 games max, they were a free throw away from a 5th game).

This was the thing that stood out last night. The realisation from the commentators that 'Kyrie alongside Lebron' would've made this so much more of a series. The trades made during the mid season absolutely killed the Cavs.
Reply 1985
This was the thing that stood out last night. The realisation from the commentators that 'Kyrie alongside Lebron' would've made this so much more of a series. The trades made during the mid season absolutely killed the Cavs.

They had Isiah Thomas, Dwayne Wade and Rose ffs. Say what you want about them(past it etc.) but it's better than getting rejects from the La Lakers.
They had Isiah Thomas, Dwayne Wade and Rose ffs. Say what you want about them(past it etc.) but it's better than getting rejects from the La Lakers.

Wade and Rose would have absolutely shown up. Sucks but ah well, I guess they just felt it was too much of a risk and Wade has definitely lost a step, keeping up with Klay or Steph would have been a struggle for him. Rose could have done it though (no bias)

Yup. Thing is, Kyrie left because he wasn't happy being second fiddle to Lebron. Wade ended up missing Miami. The other trades were just flat out stupid.

That's a big difference between the Cavs/Lebron and the Warriors at the moment. The Warriors have players like Klay who are happy to not be the first option. Just gets on with what he has to do and does it well. 'Super team' sure, but they all gel incredibly well too.
Reply 1988
Original post by Sae.HH
I'm just glad he's done with that saga, next year's finals should be so much more interesting.

If LeBron is in the East on a strong team(e.g. Boston), at Philly they wouldn't get swept but they'd probably take it to 6 games, they're developing so wouldn't be surprised if LeBron stayed at this level and Philly improve that they beat Golden State in a couple years time.

Thing about GSW is that they are still relatively in the prime of their careers, so could have another 2/3 years of this before any signs of decline as they get into their 30s.

Would personally look to find potential trades for Klay Thompson/Curry in the next couple of years to keep the train rolling.
If LeBron is in the East on a strong team(e.g. Boston), at Philly they wouldn't get swept but they'd probably take it to 6 games, they're developing so wouldn't be surprised if LeBron stayed at this level and Philly improve that they beat Golden State in a couple years time.

Thing about GSW is that they are still relatively in the prime of their careers, so could have another 2/3 years of this before any signs of decline as they get into their 30s.

Would personally look to find potential trades for Klay Thompson/Curry in the next couple of years to keep the train rolling.

Yep, ideally I'd still like to see Harden (ideally with the Clippers, those guys would slot in very nicely and balance out the insane offence) traded away with LeBron going to Houston
Reply 1990
Yup. Thing is, Kyrie left because he wasn't happy being second fiddle to Lebron. Wade ended up missing Miami. The other trades were just flat out stupid.

That's a big difference between the Cavs/Lebron and the Warriors at the moment. The Warriors have players like Klay who are happy to not be the first option. Just gets on with what he has to do and does it well. 'Super team' sure, but they all gel incredibly well too.

Agreed. I think it helps that the Warriors all came up together. Then when they all became superstars they were able to add Durant. If Durant came in 2013 then I reckon the Warriors would have had a problem and would trade somebody. But Durant could easily buy into that culture because even if he is the best player on the team, he can still trust Klay/Curry/Draymond to take over.

It's a bit reminiscent of OKC with Harden/Westbrook/Durant/Ibaka, similar story if they'd stayed there and be happy to work as a team and be second fiddle.

Tbh though with GSW you pass the ball to everybody and have a clear aim, get shooters free, hit quick on fast breaks, focus on triangle offence and ball movement rather than iso ball. Then with the ability to get 4 shooters spread on the floor you create space for the Center(see Javale McGee in the series, think it was game 2 or game 3 that he was always open in the first quarter). It's a perfect system that utilises the strengths of your team. The team isn't really blessed with power or a dominant Center who gets rebounds, but your team is extremely intelligent. For Draymonds size(short for a PF even though he like 6'6/6'7) he's pretty good at rebounding e.g. and defending. Curry with his ball handling can take most people 1 vs 1. I find it weird that LeBron was guarding Curry a lot, Curry's quicker laterally and it forces LeBron away from the centre of the court. There's a reason Durant got finals MVP.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Sae.HH

Western Conference Finals*
Agreed. I think it helps that the Warriors all came up together. Then when they all became superstars they were able to add Durant. If Durant came in 2013 then I reckon the Warriors would have had a problem and would trade somebody. But Durant could easily buy into that culture because even if he is the best player on the team, he can still trust Klay/Curry/Draymond to take over.

It's a bit reminiscent of OKC with Harden/Westbrook/Durant/Ibaka, similar story if they'd stayed there and be happy to work as a team and be second fiddle.

Tbh though with GSW you pass the ball to everybody and have a clear aim, get shooters free, hit quick on fast breaks, focus on triangle offence and ball movement rather than iso ball. Then with the ability to get 4 shooters spread on the floor you create space for the Center(see Javale McGee in the series, think it was game 2 or game 3 that he was always open in the first quarter). It's a perfect system that utilises the strengths of your team. The team isn't really blessed with power or a dominant Center who gets rebounds, but your team is extremely intelligent. For Draymonds size(short for a PF even though he like 6'6/6'7) he's pretty good at rebounding e.g. and defending. Curry with his ball handling can take most people 1 vs 1. I find it weird that LeBron was guarding Curry a lot, Curry's quicker laterally and it forces LeBron away from the centre of the court. There's a reason Durant got finals MVP.

Idk about that, LeBron is one of the fastest players in the league, and Curry missed a large proportion of this threes when Bron was guarding him

KD and LeBron always call a pick and roll to get a mismatch, so they rarely end up guarding each other.

It's mad LeBron averaged 34PPG, 8.5RPG 10AST and still got swept
It’s incredible how badly Cleveland ****ed up with trades this season.
Original post by Malevolent
It’s incredible how badly Cleveland ****ed up with trades this season.

Definitely! No one could have envisioned that basically none of their trades wouldn't pan out. The only one that is truly a bit lopsided from the start was the Irving trade but even then Isaiah if he had come back from injury well would have been an ok replacement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really don't know what the logic was behind the trades, it's stupid that of the three players they got back for Kyrie they only kept Zizic and traded the rest away + more for inferior playmakers/scorers. IT would've come back healthy, D-Rose was showing signs of life and Shumpert and Crowder can at least play defense if nothing else. Still so frustrating
Reply 1996
Precisely. I think Cleveland must be going through a restructuring or something and are trying to free cap space.
Lol at Kobesexuals believing he’s on Lebrons level let alone Jordan’s. Embarrassing how much people try to discredit Lebron.
Original post by TheLittlestElf
Lol at Kobesexuals believing he’s on Lebrons level let alone Jordan’s. Embarrassing how much people try to discredit Lebron.

No hope.
Reply 1999
Had a kobetard who realised LeBrons greatness.

Shame he's always on the losing team on these finals.

If I was him I'd create a super team and go on a lower salary so there's cap space.

Quick Reply

Latest