The Student Room Group

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP

You may have heard there is a petition calling for a 2nd Referendum.

It's so popular it's been crashing the gov site

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

Edit to add: Over 4 million signatures.
This is now the most signed UK petition ever. By far.

96% of signatories are in the UK. The rest are UK citizens living abroad.

If you have, or are planning to, sign the petition I suggest you also contact your MP telling them you have done so and asking them to request a 2nd Referendum.

It's easy to do here: https://www.writetothem.com

The petition will be formally debated in Parliament on 5th Sept.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I voted Remain but I think this petition is pointless. Leave won fair and square - let this be a lesson for people (in general) to take referendums and elections seriously and actually vote. Hopefully it sinks in by the time the next general election is upon us and we don't destroy this country any further.
These tears are always the sweetest
Reply 3
Link doesnt work...
What happens if the second referendum is even closer than the first one? Do we get a third one?

I do agree with the Scots having a second referendum as circumstances have changed dramatically outside their control, but I don't agree with another UK wide EU referendum unless new deals are offered.
Reply 5
Original post by ikhan94
Link doesnt work...

That's the point :wink:

Spoiler

Reply 6
Original post by DarkMagic
What happens if the second referendum is even closer than the first one? Do we get a third one?

I do agree with the Scots having a second referendum as circumstances have changed dramatically outside their control, but I don't agree with another UK wide EU referendum unless new deals are offered.

Yes, agreed, there will have to be a new deal from the EU first. Probably with immigration front and centre.

But I do think this process isn't over yet.

Why are they even trying? Provincial England will always dominate the Leave votes; it is only the London majority which made this referendum not a downright beating by the Leavers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Unfortunately leave won fair and square so i can't see this doing anything.

Unless the EU offer us a radically new deal I think we're gonna be gone.
Reply 9
Why do people dislike democracy?
Original post by joecphillips
Why do people dislike democracy?

The EU is very democratic with all the unelected officials lol ow wait
Reply 11
Original post by Inexorably
Unfortunately leave won fair and square so i can't see this doing anything.

Unless the EU offer us a radically new deal I think we're gonna be gone.

But I think the question needs to be asked how many people voted to leave based on the 'assumption' that the £350m pledge given for the NHS was a fact and not an error in the Brexit campaign?
I voted remain, however i think there shouldn't be a second referendum. And it should remain as it is, to teach people a lesson, about taking voting seriously (just like the person above has said).
Original post by Racoon
But I think the question needs to be asked how many people voted to leave based on the 'assumption' that the £350m pledge given for the NHS was a fact and not an error in the Brexit campaign?

How many people voted for the conservatives not knowing Cameron is actually a lizard wearing a human skin?

Ignorance doesn't make democracy invalid, as much as I wish it did in this case.
This is worse and more hilarious than the Edexcel C1 petition.
(edited 7 years ago)
Give me a break - we won fair and square. It'll be less than smart to even try. Plus Cameron has resigned so Remainers, take it on the chin!
Reply 16
Original post by physicsphysics91
These tears are always the sweetest

Wait till you see your tears when you realise your mistake.

190bn wiped off of the FTSE in just 12 minutes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Leave won in a fair and democratic referendum.
Calling for a petition just because you didn't get the result you wanted is not how democracy works. Grow up.
Reply 18
There are precedents for 2nd EU referendums. (but not likely in this case)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*
Wait till you see your tears when you realise your mistake.

190bn wiped off of the FTSE in just 12 minutes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Clearly knee jerk reactions

Quick Reply

Latest