The Student Room Group

English lang paper 2

Can someone help me answer this question please i would really appreciate itt!

A local newspaper commented: ‘There are no facilities any more for local children to enjoy themselves and build happy memories: where are the parks, the pools, the playgrounds?’

“Write a letter to your local MP arguing that more should be done to improve facilities for children in your area” - 40 marks
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Assuming this is for English Language GCSE:

Start with a formal greeting, either Dear Sir/Madam, or Dear MP for [insert constituency here]. If you know your MPs name, you can just put Dear Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms [surname], or make one up if you want to.

Introduce yourself, e.g. 'My name is [your full name] and I am a resident in your constituency', then outline why you are writing to them 'I am writing about my concern over the lack of facilities for children to play in our local area'. Mention the newspaper article here to back up your argument.

Split the main bit of the letter into roughly 3 or 4 parts, I personally would structure it like this:

A paragraph about the lack of facilities in your area - you can make up a story about a park/playground that was previously in the area but was recently removed/closed down, or something like that. Explain why you feel there is a lack of appropriate facilities. You could mention the newspaper article again here if you'd like.

Then explain the effect you feel this has had on the children in your area - for example, they don't have a place to play with other children, and social interaction is so important for development, or that kids are missing out on enjoying the benefits of spending time outdoors. I'd add an anecdote here, for example, pretend you have a child/younger sibling and describe how the lack of facilities has affected them.

For my final paragraph, I'd outline what I'd like the MP to do about it, such as apply for grants so that better facilities can be built, or campaign in Parliament for more outdoor spaces for children.

To finish, you could include a sentence or two to reiterate your main ideas and what you'd like them to do about them. Thank them for reading your letter, and say something like 'I look forward to reading your response'. Sign off with a formal ending, such as 'Yours Sincerely/Kind Regards, [your full name]'.

Keep a formal style of writing throughout, and remember to include lots of (appropriate) punctuation marks (commas, colons, semi-colons, brackets, etc.) and persuasive writing features (exaggeration, anecdotes, emotive language, tripling, rhetorical questions etc.). Keep your structure clear and try not to go off topic or write loads (quality over quantity, if you include lots of language features and express yourself clearly using good English, you don't even need to write two pages worth). Use a spell checker once you've finished if you're typing it, if not ask someone else to check your spelling for you.

Hope that helps!
Reply 2
Original post by millsr
Assuming this is for English Language GCSE:

Start with a formal greeting, either Dear Sir/Madam, or Dear MP for [insert constituency here]. If you know your MPs name, you can just put Dear Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms [surname], or make one up if you want to.

Introduce yourself, e.g. 'My name is [your full name] and I am a resident in your constituency', then outline why you are writing to them 'I am writing about my concern over the lack of facilities for children to play in our local area'. Mention the newspaper article here to back up your argument.

Split the main bit of the letter into roughly 3 or 4 parts, I personally would structure it like this:

A paragraph about the lack of facilities in your area - you can make up a story about a park/playground that was previously in the area but was recently removed/closed down, or something like that. Explain why you feel there is a lack of appropriate facilities. You could mention the newspaper article again here if you'd like.

Then explain the effect you feel this has had on the children in your area - for example, they don't have a place to play with other children, and social interaction is so important for development, or that kids are missing out on enjoying the benefits of spending time outdoors. I'd add an anecdote here, for example, pretend you have a child/younger sibling and describe how the lack of facilities has affected them.

For my final paragraph, I'd outline what I'd like the MP to do about it, such as apply for grants so that better facilities can be built, or campaign in Parliament for more outdoor spaces for children.

To finish, you could include a sentence or two to reiterate your main ideas and what you'd like them to do about them. Thank them for reading your letter, and say something like 'I look forward to reading your response'. Sign off with a formal ending, such as 'Yours Sincerely/Kind Regards, [your full name]'.

Keep a formal style of writing throughout, and remember to include lots of (appropriate) punctuation marks (commas, colons, semi-colons, brackets, etc.) and persuasive writing features (exaggeration, anecdotes, emotive language, tripling, rhetorical questions etc.). Keep your structure clear and try not to go off topic or write loads (quality over quantity, if you include lots of language features and express yourself clearly using good English, you don't even need to write two pages worth). Use a spell checker once you've finished if you're typing it, if not ask someone else to check your spelling for you.

Hope that helps!

Thankyou so much! Can you write an example of this question ( if you dont mind ofc!) just so I understand and have a sample answer to look back to to help ( i struggle with writing letters alot😩) and im currently trying to practice
Reply 3
Original post by Unknownx444
Thankyou so much! Can you write an example of this question ( if you dont mind ofc!) just so I understand and have a sample answer to look back to to help ( i struggle with writing letters alot😩) and im currently trying to practice

hi!! i'm trying to answer this question rn actually ❤️ do you have a response for it yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending