The Student Room Group

What hopes and concerns do you have for how the UK will change?

Scroll to see replies

lord gaben will smoke brexits and we will get csgo skins
Original post by snailsareslimy
I also feel like NI will resist leaving. Our First Minister is a member of the DUP (they wanted us to 'Leave') BUT, if we were to leave, then there will be a lot of pressure for a border poll/referendum on a United Ireland- something they do not want. Most of our other parties were for remain, so they won't willingly sign off to leave the EU, either.

I'm not sure of the legalities, but NI might well resist just as much as Scotland. That could be very interesting.

I don't see the DUP fighting for the 6 counties to stay in the EU, this is the result they wanted and they have a history of putting personal feelings over public opinion.
Original post by DarkMagic
I don't see the DUP fighting for the 6 counties to stay in the EU, this is the result they wanted and they have a history of putting personal feelings over public opinion.

You're right, the DUP are stubborn and only care for their own interests. However, it really depends on how much pressure is put on them this week. Most of the main parties in NI were on the Remain side of the argument, so they don't exactly have another party to fall back on. Northern Ireland also voted to remain. If they sign us leaving off, then as the majority of Northern Ireland voted to stay, it absolutely opens up the prospect of a United Ireland for serious debate. The demand of Irish passport applications in the last few days also illustrates that point, too.

I think the lack of urgency from Arlene to call a meeting today illustrates that it isn't as simple as sticking to their guns. There's unrest in the DUP, that's for sure.

But hey, the DUP will probably not listen to their electorate because who cares that Northern Ireland democratically voted to remain... I hate Northern Ireland. Where else in the world would the First Minister agree to something that the majority of the electorate don't want. So much for democracy.
Reply 63
Original post by geoking
As you're so certain on the future, care to give me the next few weeks worth of lottery numbers? :facepalm: You have literally no knowledge as to whether expats living in EU countries will have to leave or not as you don't know what will be agreed. I doubt EU countries will want property prices to crash in many of their cities and towns.

I know many expats. Also "I doubt EU countries will want property prices to crash in many of their cities and towns."- exactly why I said home owners have acquired rights under the convention.

I couldn't find anywhere in that report where it mentioned the opening of jobs. Plus as I said, the figures are based on GDP, which makes the entire report practically useless as GDP is not linked to the amount of jobs there are.

You've read the report wrong. It isn't about the opening of jobs.... it's showing how their will be less jobs as banks move abroad....
Original post by shooks
Whether you're hopeful or worried about the UK's post-EU future depends largely on how you voted. But what's your biggest hope or concern for how the country may change for young people?

For instance, this article on The Guardian raises some interesting possibilities.
- It might be harder to get a job in Europe
- UK students might have to pay international tuition fees to study at European unis
- UK graduates might find it easier to find grad-level jobs in the UK
- It might become harder to travel around Europe
- House prices might become more affordable

For starters I hope that non voters who were able to vote but didn't bother because of a likely Brexit shouldn't really complain about the result. Thats why they should go out there and vote.
Original post by shooks
Whether you're hopeful or worried about the UK's post-EU future depends largely on how you voted. But what's your biggest hope or concern for how the country may change for young people?

For instance, this article on The Guardian raises some interesting possibilities.
- It might be harder to get a job in Europe
- UK students might have to pay international tuition fees to study at European unis
- UK graduates might find it easier to find grad-level jobs in the UK
- It might become harder to travel around Europe
- House prices might become more affordable

Click this link to sign the petition:https://petition.parliament.uk/petit...mRJjPGXFd6IGBc
:'individual' EU membership for UK citizens. Visa free, work and study.£4:50 week dues payable to EU.
Original post by InnerTemple
That's rich, coming from you.

The Brexit campaign was full of mis-information. And you had a whole thread loaded with utter tripe.

We are already seeing how the UK is changing. There have been a rise in racially motivated attacks. The economy took a hit and there have already been job losses. It also looks like the UK will break apart.

Things could get better - it depends on the deal the EU offers us. However, for us to be doing as well as we were, then we'd have to make concessions. It'll mean that while we are outside of the EU, the things that mattered most to Brexit supporters will not change. Things like free movement, accepting EU laws, paying into the club.

Basically, we have divided the nation for absolutely no gain.

Yes, this has opened the floodgates to every recidivist, racist and reactionary to assume that the country is now their personal plaything.

An NHS radiographer being racially abused by a Leaver patient last night.
https://twitter.com/drmaliabbasi/status/746987198914887680

Comments reminiscent of the sort of thing that Jewish professionals faced in Nazi Germany in the 30s.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dieselblue
I heard Sweden would follow if Britain Left.

Good luck with sexit, I mean swexit

I prefer: "Swe Ya Later!"
Original post by Assan
By applying to a British university, I bet on my university maintaining and expanding its prestige. I am VERY nervous about the future prestige of my degree.

It doesn't mean as much as you think.
Original post by TercioOfParma
Hoping for the complete abolishment of hate speech laws, although that probably won't happen.

Why? Do you have a lot of hate speech to give or something?
Original post by WhisperingTide
Why? Do you have a lot of hate speech to give or something?

Because ideas exposed to the world are criticised openly too. We could smother the far right and far left in the crib if they state their racist ideas more openly.
Original post by andrewUK
You've read the report wrong. It isn't about the opening of jobs.... it's showing how their will be less jobs as banks move abroad....

You know expats...so?

No - the figures in the report (500k - 800k) job losses are estimated from GDP. GDP and jobs are not inherently linked.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
1. I want dress down days to have a compulsory dress code of union jack speedos
2. I expect we can be proper British and smoke and drink beer at our desk
3. I want us all driving proper British cars like Fords instead of BMWs

These are my expectations for now, nothing less will suffice

Are you a walking parody or?
Original post by shooks

It might become harder to travel around Europe

This is the one that stands out as totally ridiculous and without foundation. It wasn't difficult to travel around western Europe before Britain joined the EU. It is easy to travel to friendly non-EU countries. In fact, it is easy to travel all round the civilised world nowadays, even to China. I can see no reason why tourist travel should become more difficult.
Original post by andrewUK
i hope as an nation we stop blaming others such as refugees and immigrants for our mistakes. i hope we learn stop letting xenophobia and patriotism govern our minds and instead we do what is best for our future generations. however the EU result destroyed my hope... :frown:

What are you smoking? :eyeball:

Immigration isn't the sole reason for which someone might want to leave the EU.
Xenophobia and patriotism aren't the only possible things to necessitate the hate for the EU.

Why the heck would you think leaving the EU guarantees a significant increase in xenophobia?
Original post by Foo.mp3
How so?

Such as?

Specifics?

Read the news?

And no need for the tissues. I'm sad for the people of Britain and it's frustrating that the side which defied all logic managed to win. I split my time between the UK and US now - over the next year or so I'll pick whichever one looks less terrible...

Original post by Foo.mp3
1) Starting sentences with 'basically' doesn't reflect well on you

And filling posts with little digs and silly pictures is much better!
Reply 76
Original post by WhisperingTide
It doesn't mean as much as you think.

The point is, no one seems to know what it means.
Original post by XcitingStuart
What are you smoking? :eyeball:

Immigration isn't the sole reason for which someone might want to leave the EU.
Xenophobia and patriotism aren't the only possible things to necessitate the hate for the EU.

Why the heck would you think leaving the EU guarantees a significant increase in xenophobia?

I mean the fact we are hearing about an increase of casual racism, there has been repeated stories of incidents following the vote where people are being told to "go home", explains this. We have had to have the Prime Minister and Mayor of London come on and say intolerance is not acceptable because incidents have increased.People believe leaving the EU guarantees a significant increase in xenophobia because after Leave won the refererndum to exit the EU, we have heard of a significant increase in xenophobia.
Reply 78
I studied in another European country and my loan repayments are in Euros. Today's payment was £32 more than last month's, for the same amount I send every month :colonhash:
Original post by Cll_ws
I studied in another European country and my loan repayments are in Euros. Today's payment was £32 more than last month's, for the same amount I send every month :colonhash:

Such a shame. The UK should adopt the Euro.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending