The Student Room Group

Worrying to be an ethnic minority in a sovereign Britain?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gora The Xplorer
More worrying is the fact that you seem to expect war with Pakistan.

Of course not, i'm being hypothetical.

Would OP for example contact the police if one of his friends expressed a positive view about ISIS.
Original post by maryamzahid
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/24/intolerance-ethnic-minority-poles-uk
An interesting read- what is your take on this?
Personally, I am a British individual with a Pakistani background, and have had a few occurrences where people have asked me if I wanted to go back home etc, without them realising that this is my home and will always will be.
A few of my friends who came here to the UK from Europe have felt the same as well.
I fear after reading articles like this, that having a sovereign Britain may result in a place of misunderstanding and fear towards certain communities.
This is just my view, I would like to listen to others.

unfortunatley mixed in with the brexit vote where the hardcore racists who have had this on their agenda for decades

the stupidity is however is that amoung the massive number of brexit voters in the north and midlands - vast amounts of pakistanis voting to leave eu. the moronic Muslims for Britain group actually campaigned alongside ukip there and im sure got loads of votes of british muslims. i think in general most non muslim asians and other ethnic group voted to remain.
Original post by Rakas21
Yeah. For every migrant Turkey accepts they get to send a Syrian into Europe, get some cash and get their membership application sped up.

It's an awful deal that allows the third world into Europe.

Oh no. We are helping people who have had a really *****y life.
The horror.
Oh.
Make out stop.
Nooooo.
Original post by WhisperingTide
Oh no. We are helping people who have had a really *****y life.
The horror.
Oh.
Make out stop.
Nooooo.

Politics should be about self interest over emotion.
Original post by Rakas21
It's less important what religion people have but rather whether they put their nationality first. The problem with a lot of Muslims for example is that they are Muslim first and British second and express solidarity for other Muslims against western interests.

If OP would fight and die for Britain in a war against Pakistan then he has my approval.

You sound dense!
Imagine there was a referendum to deport everyone who can't trace back three generations to a parent born here? I feel like with the right campaign it could win lol. Make Britain safe again! Could be a nice tagline. This is the problem with democracy.
Yea I agree with the article. Thankfully London isn't too bad but I get that feeling when I go up north.
Original post by 99_Problems
Imagine there was a referendum to deport everyone who can't trace back three generations to a parent born here? I feel like with the right campaign it could win lol. Make Britain safe again! Could be a nice tagline. This is the problem with democracy.

This isn't nazi Germany'
Original post by Rakas21
Politics should be about self interest over emotion.

Interest in the well being of the whole over the individual is why countries exist.

People who wouldn't help those in serious need in order to benefit their own relatively good lives are worthless, subhuman trash. *Shrug*
Original post by ~scorpio~
Britain is far more tolerant and open about multi-faith and ethnic minorities than the EU and we should be grateful for that.

Yeah, just look at TSR, so tolerant ...

But I know, the narrative here is allways: "I am non-white, thus I can't be intolerant or xenophobic or racist..." WAKE UP!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WhisperingTide
Interest in the well being of the whole over the individual is why countries exist.

People who wouldn't help those in serious need in order to benefit their own relatively good lives are worthless, subhuman trash. *Shrug*

Yes, but our own group of people.

I would help those Syrians in need by bringing order to their nation. Unfortunately, the public at large are content to sit back while Syrians slaughter each other.
Original post by lulucoco98
This isn't nazi Germany'

Do you think the German people woke up one day and thought hmm I'm going to fascist?

It was a mix of charismatic leadership and good PR. You just need to plant seeds here and there (rochdale sexual assaults, over-representation of black people in prison, pick pocketing Romanians) and have the face of someone respectable like Boris Johnson and I'm sure the campaign could win.
Original post by 99_Problems
Do you think the German people woke up one day and thought hmm I'm going to fascist?

It was a mix of charismatic leadership and good PR. You just need to plant seeds here and there (rochdale sexual assaults, over-representation of black people in prison, pick pocketing Romanians) and have the face of someone respectable like Boris Johnson and I'm sure the campaign could win.

People can be quiet naive and vote emotionally which is the negative sides of referendums and Direct democracy. However, not every leave voter is racist and not everyone can be painted under the same brush.
Original post by lulucoco98
People can be quiet naive and vote emotionally which is the negative sides of referendums and Direct democracy. However, not every leave voter is racist and not everyone can be painted under the same brush.

Where have I disagreed with that? Quite the opposite. It won't be racism fueling them like it wasn't racism now. It will be about safety, culture, security.
Er no, continental Europe is vastly more racist than the UK, always has been.
Reply 35
I don't think people should worry, as people are very tolerant to people already here and not the asylum seekers/refugees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rakas21
It's less important what religion people have but rather whether they put their nationality first. The problem with a lot of Muslims for example is that they are Muslim first and British second and express solidarity for other Muslims against western interests.

If OP would fight and die for Britain in a war against Pakistan then he has my approval.

I kind of get what you mean but your second point is ridiculous. Pretend your family left the UK and went to live in... idk... South Korea. You were born in South Korea and identified as South Korean but weren't actually of Korean descent. Now pretend there was a war against the UK? Would you really join?

For a lot of people with immigrant parents/family, British and x-culture are kind of in sync. You enjoy a good Friday fish and chips but you also really enjoy the food your parents cook. Deciding to fight and potentially murder what potentially could have been you is very hard decision to make. If I had to choose to go to war against the country my family came from, I would say no. Does that really make me less British?
Original post by Nathanielle
Yeah, just look at TSR, so tolerant ...

But I know, the narrative here is allways: "I am non-white, thus I can't be intolerant or xenophobic or racist..." WAKE UP!

Last time I checked the UK hasn't banned any religious symbols and we have Muslim MPs. I'm a Muslim with liberal views and I feel comfortably practicing my religion here than back home. Tsr is like 0.00001% so not bothered really
Original post by ~scorpio~
Last time I checked the UK hasn't banned any religious symbols and we have Muslim MPs. I'm a Muslim with liberal views and I feel comfortably practicing my religion here than back home. Tsr is like 0.00001% so not bothered really

and yet the brexit vote was essentially , initiated by nigel farrage and his ukip goons, alongside groups like britain first, who all have plenty of dislike of muslims.
Original post by Chakede
and yet the brexit vote was essentially , initiated by nigel farrage and his ukip goons, alongside groups like britain first, who all have plenty of dislike of muslims.

Yeah they don't like Muslims who want sharia in this country and women who wear the burka. I don't like these kind of Muslims either. In my religion I was taught to adapt to another culture and respect their laws, not impose your culture on a foreign land! They bring their ideology here and expect everyone to agree with them and that's where the more open minded and tolerant peaceful Muslims disagree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending