The Student Room Group

Is my school allowed to do this?

I have my mock exams coming up for the sciences and my school said that they're going to use papers from the 90's. The specification back then was much different and I'm pretty sure the mark scheme was too, so there's no way I would even be able to revise off of past papers to familiarise myself with what the examiner wants since papers from back then aren't even accessible to students.

The grades we get from these mocks will be used to predict our A2 grades which will obviously be used for our university applications. I'm a bit worried and I'm not sure if this is allowed, the teachers at my school can be somewhat irrational so if I tried bringing up the problem to them they'll most likely end up making an excuse.

Any advice?
Yes they are, but it's a pretty *****y thing to do. Is there a reason why they're doing a paper from the 90s?
Original post by 34908seikj
Yes they are, but it's a pretty *****y thing to do. Is there a reason why they're doing a paper from the 90s?

They say it's because they want it to be a paper that nobody will have access to. They're also trying to get as many people kicked off the courses for year 13.
Reply 3
Unfortunately they can pretty much do what they want- for a prelim once, my physics teacher actually used questions from a paper he had sat for his higher exam. Its worth mentioning that he is not exactly just out of university, and the questions were from an exam paper published before some of the class were born!
Original post by AspiringInMed
I have my mock exams coming up for the sciences and my school said that they're going to use papers from the 90's. The specification back then was much different and I'm pretty sure the mark scheme was too, so there's no way I would even be able to revise off of past papers to familiarise myself with what the examiner wants since papers from back then aren't even accessible to students.

The grades we get from these mocks will be used to predict our A2 grades which will obviously be used for our university applications. I'm a bit worried and I'm not sure if this is allowed, the teachers at my school can be somewhat irrational so if I tried bringing up the problem to them they'll most likely end up making an excuse.

Any advice?

I'm pretty sure they can't do this. And anways can't they just create a science paper, by putting a mixture of pass papers in one paper or come up with questions them selves
Original post by Treen98
Unfortunately they can pretty much do what they want- for a prelim once, my physics teacher actually used questions from a paper he had sat for his higher exam. Its worth mentioning that he is not exactly just out of university, and the questions were from an exam paper published before some of the class were born!

That's a shame, I just think it's really unfair because firstly they were too cheap to enter us for real exams and now they're giving us these papers. Why not stick to the 2016 AS paper, I have no clue. *sigh*
Original post by AspiringInMed
That's a shame, I just think it's really unfair because firstly they were too cheap to enter us for real exams and now they're giving us these papers. Why not stick to the 2016 AS paper, I have no clue. *sigh*

My school were too cheap to enter the AS exams as well i found it rather silly, cause now teachers will know whose still on the course and who isnt before we've even got our results (my schools making us wait till results day.. ) I wish you luck!!
Original post by theBranicAc
I'm pretty sure they can't do this. And anways can't they just create a science paper, by putting a mixture of pass papers in one paper or come up with questions them selves

I would've preferred for them to use lots of past paper questions from the old specification, but my school want to kick as many people off the science courses as possible (I don't fully blame them, some of these people need to get the hell out) but not at the expense of people who actually want to do well and need those predicted grades.
Original post by ArtemisMCR
My school were too cheap to enter the AS exams as well i found it rather silly, cause now teachers will know whose still on the course and who isnt before we've even got our results (my schools making us wait till results day.. ) I wish you luck!!

Thanks, I wish you luck too. I think my school will let us know around a week or two before the end of term so it'll save me from having to suffer all summer knowing if I did well or not.
Complain that the syllabus is different.

Complain to a higher-up though, the teacher will be more likely to get scared into action that way.
Yeah complain to the headteacher

Worst case scenario then ask people here for papers from the 90s for practice.

Anyways im sure papers from the 90s are easier

Quick Reply

Latest