That was probably because people didn't turn up...:p:

Meh, whatever...

:biggrin:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 41
vickytoria77
Can I ask a question though regarding tutorials? Are we talking actual one-on-one teaching/going through readings etc or just general read & provide crit for an essay & then feedback afterwards? Or is it a bit of both?

Mine were mostly of the former type. Essay feedback only played a very minor role in the actual tutorial, because we got written feedback on them anyway.
Reply 42
shady lane

the_alba, that's shocking that you had classes with 30 people! You don't mean lectures, do you?

Nope, these were MSt classes - twice a week, compulsory and an utter waste of time...
Reply 43
Teabag

Alba I would strongly suggest that you send in the letter you talked about earlier and have it signed by as many people as possible as nothing will change in the future if you don't complain about it.

Well, as I said, complaints have been made before by previous groups, and nothing has been done. The convenor spent most of her time being apologetic yet indifferent: they know there are serious flaws with the course, but they are in no hurry to change it, especially as it's so popular and allows them to rake in lots of fees for very little work. We all know how much tutors at Oxford get paid for teaching graduates compared to what they get for undergrad teaching. The difference is shocking.

Teabag

There is one person at my college who's just finished the 1900-present day MSt and is planning to carry on to the DPhil, but perhaps he isn't representative.

Is he at St Catz by any chance? I can only think of one person who talked about staying on. God knows why, he certainly didn't seem very happy here.

Teabag

My uninformed impression about the 20th century at Oxford is that it has strengths in certain areas (Modernist writers, PoCo, biography, Ireland, America) but doesn't cater well for a number of other topics.

Oxford is fairly good for Post-Colonial stuff, yes, but not really for modernist writers - or, if so, all the wrong ones (imo)! The Anglo-Irish line seems all right but on closer inspection is very ropey indeed. American lit is poor - despite the fact that they have their own MSt. It's a one-man show run by Paul Giles and annexed to the English faculty. As for biography - that's just Hermione Lee inventing a course to make her own area of expertise seem more intellectually valid than it is.
Teabag
ba_mhaith, I wouldn't have said the course was particularly brilliantly 'structured' but it was challenging, yes. If I were you I would start with...and then read the course specifications if you haven't already done so, look at the tutors and find out a bit about their research interests, maybe come on an open day if there is one.

Thanks. I've had a look at the course description, and it sounds quite good and interesting. Some of the faculty members do seem to have broadly similar interests to mine, so I might try to ascertain whether my particular topic is relevant to them. My preference, in the end, is for the Cambridge course as it allows one to take a module from outside the department, i.e. History and Philosophy of Science, which would be directly related to my research interests, as well as the focus on critical theory. It seems to present the option of interdisciplinary study, which really appeals to me.

vickytoria77
As a fellow "looking at MA applications" student - this thread is rather eye-opening (not that I'd be applying to Oxbridge anyway)

Which universities are you thinking of applying? And which subject areas? Excuse the nosiness. Although I initially asked for information solely on Oxbridge, that was a bit short-sighted of me as I would also like to hear about people's experiences/impressions of other English departments such as Durham, Edinburgh and UCL.

Anyone have any knowledge of these universities' strengths/weaknesses with regard to English?
I'm looking at various History courses but it's interesting to read peoples' experiences of various universities in general and how the "name" doesn't always mean top-notch teaching/experiences

So I'm no use really for you! Am looking at Royal Holloway mainly as they offer exactly the course I want to do, but obviously investigating others
It is difficult to know the best option when you're trying to weigh up rankings, department profiles, other students' reports as well as your own preferences in terms of course content.

Rankings isn't something I really thought about when I was applying for my undergrad, and now it seems like such an important factor for further study!
Reply 47
ba_mhaith_liom
Rankings isn't something I really thought about when I was applying for my undergrad, and now it seems like such an important factor for further study!

Really? If anything, I'd have thought it would be less important.
In my personal experience and from what I've seen on here, rankings mean nothing for postgraduate study.
hobnob
Really? If anything, I'd have thought it would be less important.

I did my undergrad in Ireland. Rankings simply weren't a factor in my decision. While TCD is recognised as probably the top university in the Republic, that doesn't mean that people perceive this to mean that there is a wide discrepancy in the quality of education received. So I went to the university in my own city, which I think is ranked third but I'm not sure.
Reply 50
ba_mhaith_liom
I did my undergrad in Ireland. Rankings simply weren't a factor in my decision. While TCD is recognised as probably the top university in the Republic, that doesn't mean that people perceive this to mean that there is a wide discrepancy in the quality of education received. So I went to the university in my own city, which I think is ranked third but I'm not sure.

I think you misunderstood me there... What I meant was that if anything, ranking is less important at postgraduate level, and I doubt the fact that you went to Cork rather than Dublin for your undergraduate degree is going to put you at a disadvantage during the application process. So basically go for the departments and courses that would suit you best and don't worry too much about rankings.:smile:
Erm, yes, I think I did misunderstand you. And reading over my reply, I realise it seemed rather defensive. Sorry!

I do realise that the rankings are not the be-all-and-end-all, and I don't really have any concerns as to the location of my undergrad. As you said, it won't put me at a disadvantage during the application process. However, considering that innumerable universities offer Master's programmes in the area that I want to study, it would seem prudent to go for departments with good reputations.
Reply 52
May I just add here that well over half of the people I did my MSt with got Distinctions (results checked today). It was an incredibly strong field, and such a shame that the course didn't match up to its students. Still. I feel so proud of everyone who struggled through it and came up trumps :smile:
ooooh, what did you get, the alba?
Reply 54
The Boosh
ooooh, what did you get, the alba?

We already know the answer to that, don't we?:wink:
Reply 55
hobnob
We already know the answer to that, don't we?:wink:

Eh? I'm saying nothing! :wink:
lol, well i wanted to wish you congratulations... judging by your previous performance, i think i can say congrats!

are you definately sorted for york yet?
the_alba
May I just add here that well over half of the people I did my MSt with got Distinctions (results checked today). It was an incredibly strong field, and such a shame that the course didn't match up to its students. Still. I feel so proud of everyone who struggled through it and came up trumps :smile:

Congratulations, and thanks for all the information you have shared about the MSt. I will still probably apply for it, although I don't think that it would be my preferred course.

Best of luck with your PhD studies.
Reply 58
Thanks guys. The Boosh, York still depends on funding of course, so I'm playing the waiting game.

And ba_mhaith_liom, by all means apply. It's a real confidence boost just to get in, because you know how competitive it is. And if you can put up with the **** from the course and come out and the end of it, that's pretty character-building too! Good luck with your applications, whatever you decide.
will you go to the graduation ceremony? and what college are you based at?

Latest

Trending

Trending