The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

English student applying - general questions

Hello.
I have just finished my AS's, and Uni stuff is fast approaching... I am interested in studying French at Queen's, but I was wondering if it is really difficult to integrate yourself if you are English? I've read a couple of other threads, which were really helpful, but just thought I'd ask my own questions to get more specific answers.

Roughly how many English people are there? And how many students stay in at weekends? Is French good there? It's ranked highly in league tables so I'm guessing so? Is the nightlife good? If you have studied there, what made you choose it?

Thank you!
Reply 1
It's really not hard to integrate yourself if you're English. I'm from England and have just finished my first year there and I didn't experience any trouble or struggle. The student accommodation you'll be staying at if you go will normally place you in a flat with other English people or international students but then sometimes from NI and the republic -- it really depends. A lot of students do go home at the weekend, that's probably the one thing that kind of sucked this year but in all honesty I didn't mind too much by the end of the year. The nightlife is good, theres loads of places to go depending on what you like the only thing is the closing times of these places. Bars and pubs would be open until 1 or 2 while clubs are open until 2 or 3. However, drink is really cheap in Belfast -- well for me anyway coming from London. Wouldn't know too much about French but a girl I know does it and she seems to enjoy it. Reason I kind of went to Belfast was because accommodation is cheap, the surrounding area like Northern Ireland and stuff is really nice and to be honest when I visited I kind of just knew. You should really visit it, even if its not an open day and just look around the city and the university. Flights to England are relatively cheap as well. Good luck!
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending