The Student Room Group

Already anxious about graduating!! Advice?!

I'm not sure if this is even the right forum, but I'm looking for some advice :smile:

So I was born and grew up in Birmingham. The year before I came to uni in Lincoln, my parents separated. In the summer between first year and second year, my mum moved to Somerset (for various reasons) with my siblings. My dad still lives in Birmingham but we aren't on good terms.

After uni, I want to go straight into a full time job. Job prospects are good, and I have a plan worked out in terms of saving money in case it doesn't happen straight away. My issue is: where do I go to live?!

If I stay in Lincoln, I have friends intending to do masters, so I'd have friends and (hopefully) a job to fund accommodation, but no family close by.

If I go home to my mum, I have my family, potentially a job, but no friends.

If I go to Birmingham, I'd have to find a job and set myself up living on my own there. I have friends from school going home after uni, but we've definitely drifted over the last year or two.

What would you choose or advise?!

Hope this makes sense :smile:

Thanks!!
Go where the best job opportunities are. You'll make new friends. Close friends and family will always be there, wherever they are.
Reply 2
Original post by cford1396
I'm not sure if this is even the right forum, but I'm looking for some advice :smile:

So I was born and grew up in Birmingham. The year before I came to uni in Lincoln, my parents separated. In the summer between first year and second year, my mum moved to Somerset (for various reasons) with my siblings. My dad still lives in Birmingham but we aren't on good terms.

After uni, I want to go straight into a full time job. Job prospects are good, and I have a plan worked out in terms of saving money in case it doesn't happen straight away. My issue is: where do I go to live?!

If I stay in Lincoln, I have friends intending to do masters, so I'd have friends and (hopefully) a job to fund accommodation, but no family close by.

If I go home to my mum, I have my family, potentially a job, but no friends.

If I go to Birmingham, I'd have to find a job and set myself up living on my own there. I have friends from school going home after uni, but we've definitely drifted over the last year or two.

What would you choose or advise?!

Hope this makes sense :smile:

Thanks!!

Definitely this "If I go home to my mum, I have my family, potentially a job, but no friends." Family is important you'll have a job and you can make new friends :smile:
Wherever you want.

I moved to a completely new city and loved it. Although I would say if I had the option I'd stay near family. You'll really value them in the future if you have kids and whatnot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending