The Student Room Group

How to get into IT

Hi,

I finished university last September with a degree in computer networks and technology. I was wondering how do I get a graduate job in IT please. What tips advice would you give please. Some of my friends within our IT class already have jobs within ICT and I’m slightly anxious that I don’t.
Original post by User_name001
Hi,

I finished university last September with a degree in computer networks and technology. I was wondering how do I get a graduate job in IT please. What tips advice would you give please. Some of my friends within our IT class already have jobs within ICT and I’m slightly anxious that I don’t.

Have you spoken with your friends to establish how they managed to land a job? Do they have a better classification of degree that you? More work experience? Are they better at interview? Have they applied to more jobs? Are they aiming lower in terms of the sort of job they're targeting? Or in what way are they different?

What have you done so far to secure a job? How has it gone so far? Any interviews?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Have you spoken with your friends to establish how they managed to land a job? Do they have a better classification of degree that you? More work experience? Are they better at interview? Have they applied to more jobs? Are they aiming lower in terms of the sort of job they're targeting? Or in what way are they different?

What have you done so far to secure a job? How has it gone so far? Any interviews?

Hi Datavenia,

They just applied to the jobs really. They had better classification but they work different areas of ICT I wanted to get into Technical Support. I don’t know and am not sure how or where to look for work experience please. And yes they are better at interviews my initial interviews I had I knew where I went wrong and have looked to address them further. They’ve been applying ever since we were able to apply for graduate roles really but I’ve been doing the same since I’ve had a one or two interviews, with multiple applications. It’s not been going well though. Even at entry level they’ve not progressed or take forward.
Original post by User_name001
Hi Datavenia,

They just applied to the jobs really. They had better classification but they work different areas of ICT I wanted to get into Technical Support. I don’t know and am not sure how or where to look for work experience please. And yes they are better at interviews my initial interviews I had I knew where I went wrong and have looked to address them further. They’ve been applying ever since we were able to apply for graduate roles really but I’ve been doing the same since I’ve had a one or two interviews, with multiple applications. It’s not been going well though. Even at entry level they’ve not progressed or take forward.

Understood. To some extent it's a numbers game. You've made "multiple application" which have resulted in "one or two interviews". So apply more.

You've said that "my initial interviews I had I knew where I went wrong and have looked to address them further". So you'll be better in the next interview, and better still in the one after that. If you keep improving, then it won't be long before you get a job offer.

You just need to keep applying, keep improving, and don't let it grind you down. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Understood. To some extent it's a numbers game. You've made "multiple application" which have resulted in "one or two interviews". So apply more.

You've said that "my initial interviews I had I knew where I went wrong and have looked to address them further". So you'll be better in the next interview, and better still in the one after that. If you keep improving, then it won't be long before you get a job offer.

You just need to keep applying, keep improving, and don't let it grind you down. Good luck! :smile:

Thanks DataVenia,

Appreciate it a lot I think I’m being too hard on myself :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending