The Student Room Group

Good combination of subjects to choose?

Hi,
So I have just finished GCSEs and am now thinking about what to choose at A-level. Atm I am thinking of choosing:

Drama & Theatre Studies
English Literature
Graphic Communication

Are these good subjects to choose? I am just worried as I have two quite creative subjects in there and I don't know whether they would be good for universities. Would something like French be better instead of graphics?
Reply 1
Original post by pingu58011
Hi,
So I have just finished GCSEs and am now thinking about what to choose at A-level. Atm I am thinking of choosing:

Drama & Theatre Studies
English Literature
Graphic Communication

Are these good subjects to choose? I am just worried as I have two quite creative subjects in there and I don't know whether they would be good for universities. Would something like French be better instead of graphics?

What do you want to do at Uni? That's the main question because if you want to study graphics then you should clearly stick with graphics
However, if you chose French instead that increases your chances of getting into a Russell group university drastically!

A good rule of thumb, if you want to go to a good university, try to pick at least 2 facilitating subjects, e.g. French and English Lit - These are two very challenging but very strong subjects and completely over shadow subjects such as graphics.
Furthermore, MFL is very sought after by Unis so if you're serious about studying an acedamic subject at uni then do the French instead and show case your intelligence and capability to future Unis and employers.

Although, French is very hard and of course I don't know you personally then it may be best to stick with graphics if your able to get an A/A* in it however, it all comes down to what you want to study...

Like I said though, picking facilitating subjects is key to getting into a "good" university (most of the time) and keeps doors open.

Ultimatley it's up to you.

Pick the subjects you enjoy and will get good grades in. A-levels are too difficult and you won't get through them if you are doing a subject you don't love.

Btw, I don't really know what graphic communication is but then that goes to question, would the universities know either when most there students take more traditional subjects?

Hope this helps,

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by J.Page
What do you want to do at Uni? That's the main question because if you want to study graphics then you should clearly stick with graphics
However, if you chose French instead that increases your chances of getting into a Russell group university drastically!

A good rule of thumb, if you want to go to a good university, try to pick at least 2 facilitating subjects, e.g. French and English Lit - These are two very challenging but very strong subjects and completely over shadow subjects such as graphics.
Furthermore, MFL is very sought after by Unis so if you're serious about studying an acedamic subject at uni then do the French instead and show case your intelligence and capability to future Unis and employers.

Although, French is very hard and of course I don't know you personally then it may be best to stick with graphics if your able to get an A/A* in it however, it all comes down to what you want to study...

Like I said though, picking facilitating subjects is key to getting into a "good" university (most of the time) and keeps doors open.

Ultimatley it's up to you.

Pick the subjects you enjoy and will get good grades in. A-levels are too difficult and you won't get through them if you are doing a subject you don't love.

Btw, I don't really know what graphic communication is but then that goes to question, would the universities know either when most there students take more traditional subjects?

Hope this helps,

Good luck!

Thanks for replying! At Uni I am wanting to study drama as I want a career in something in that field.

I have heard about choosing the two facilitating subjects which is why I was unsure about the graphics. I do really enjoy learning French but I feel that I may have only got a B at GCSE which I don't think is good enough for such a difficult subject at A-level!

Both graphics and French are subjects I enjoy but it is just hard knowing which one I should take forward, Any ideas?
Reply 3
Thanks for replying! At Uni I am wanting to study drama as I want a career in something in that field.

I have heard about choosing the two facilitating subjects which is why I was unsure about the graphics. I do really enjoy learning French but I feel that I may have only got a B at GCSE which I don't think is good enough for such a difficult subject at A-level!

Both graphics and French are subjects I enjoy but it is just hard knowing which one I should take forward, Any ideas?

For your situation, I'd suggest not the French then, my controlled assessments in French were high A's and A*'s but having made stupid mistakes on my reading (like really stupid!) I reckon I'll end up with an A. I'd really love to do French A level but I feel I wouldn't cope because it is that hard!

Stick with subjects you'll get good grades in at A level...
I think with drama/theatre, your extra curricular is very important!
Perhaps pick something which is closely related to your two other subjects e.g. History etc?
Are there other subjects are you good at and like?
Reply 4
Original post by J.Page
For your situation, I'd suggest not the French then, my controlled assessments in French were high A's and A*'s but having made stupid mistakes on my reading (like really stupid!) I reckon I'll end up with an A. I'd really love to do French A level but I feel I wouldn't cope because it is that hard!

Stick with subjects you'll get good grades in at A level...
I think with drama/theatre, your extra curricular is very important!
Perhaps pick something which is closely related to your two other subjects e.g. History etc?
Are there other subjects are you good at and like?

I have done ancient history at GCSE and I am good at it. However, I don't particularly like it!

There isn't really any other subjects that I would be interested in taking tbh
Reply 5
I have done ancient history at GCSE and I am good at it. However, I don't particularly like it!

There isn't really any other subjects that I would be interested in taking tbh

Well then, stick with what you said in the first place but the old hearted facts are that you really cut your chances quite a bit for a Russell group uni and the subjects you are taking are very specific and aren't highly regarded like others.

Don't pick subjects if you don't like them but do bare in mind, your application form would look a lot weaker than someone who took two facilitation subjects

Which uni were you looking at specifically? Have you looked on UCAS?

Quick Reply

Latest