The Student Room Group

Finance & Consulting - Sixth Form FAQ:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mrmrm123
Where do you think queen mary uni lies on the targets?

tis a non-target
Original post by knightchildish
So i've heard that some jobs in finance have more of a quantitative element, which jobs are these? And what subject would be considered suitable for more of the quanty jobs?

quant analyst, quant trader, {insert product here} derivatives trader, strat, quant strategist, hft/algo trader, equity derivatives research etc
Original post by Princepieman
tis a non-target

can you explain why please?
Original post by mrmrm123
can you explain why please?

Because it's not tagged by the banks. The target universities are Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial, Warwick and the semi-target universities are Nottingham, Bristol, Durham, KCL, St Andrews, Bath, Manchester, Cass and one or two others. QMUL isn't in either of these categories so it's a non-target.
Original post by Princepieman
quant analyst, quant trader, {insert product here} derivatives trader, strat, quant strategist, hft/algo trader, equity derivatives research etc

alright thanks. And do you know how much of the high finance jobs are taken up by these quant jobs?
So i've heard that some jobs in finance have more of a quantitative element, which jobs are these? And what subject would be considered suitable for more of the quanty jobs?

Derivatives trading, algo trading, quantitative analyst, quant trader, quant research. You need a maths, engineering, physics or computer science degree for these jobs.
Original post by Ladbants
Derivatives trading, algo trading, quantitative analyst, quant trader, quant research. You need a maths, engineering, physics or computer science degree for these jobs.

Alright thanks. i legit dont know what these are so ill give them a quick search haha :tongue: You've been very helpful to me, thanks.

What proportion of high finance jobs are taken up by these quantitative jobs? I am thinking of what degree i should do and im wondering how restricted i would be when doing a less quanty degree.
Alright thanks. i legit dont know what these are so ill give them a quick search haha :tongue: You've been very helpful to me, thanks.

What proportion of high finance jobs are taken up by these quantitative jobs? I am thinking of what degree i should do and im wondering how restricted i would be when doing a less quanty degree.

There aren't that many of these jobs. The majority (like 90%) of banking jobs don't need a quantitative degree.
Quick question : Can you chose which groups you work in for a summer internship at an IB, as due to religious beliefs I could only work in M&A or ECM, as they generally don't involve interest unlike in LevFin, DCM, S&T?
Original post by thatapanydude
Quick question : Can you chose which groups you work in for a summer internship at an IB, as due to religious beliefs I could only work in M&A or ECM, as they generally don't involve interest unlike in LevFin, DCM, S&T?

doubt you'd be able to avoid interest in banking, otherwise yeah you're able to put down preferences and depending on business needs/spaces/your skills you'll be allocated accordingly

ps. M&A involves interest i.e advising on transaction method via debt/equity/hybrid. working on LBO deals etc..

ECM has some desks too which construct hybrid products like equity-linked etc..
Original post by gr8wizard10
doubt you'd be able to avoid interest in banking, otherwise yeah you're able to put down preferences and depending on business needs/spaces/your skills you'll be allocated accordingly

ps. M&A involves interest i.e advising on transaction method via debt/equity/hybrid. working on LBO deals etc..

ECM has some desks too which construct hybrid products like equity-linked etc..

Thanks for the reply mate, I've just PM you.
Thank you for the thread. I found this helpful!
For anyone just starting out looking at applications or internships in finance/consulting, I've written a guide explaining the key terms and opportunities out there!

http://herbusinessnow.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/10-top-terms-to-decode-your-internship.html

Hope that it's useful! There's more careers content to come on my blog, especially for finance and consulting applications, let me know if there's anything in particular you'd like to see.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reckon it's possible to get into Strategy Consulting with a degree from Manchester? (Econ)I know this thread hasn't been used in a while but it has been an informative read aha
I'm be in uni in a few months studying maths and computer science hopefully. What can I do to learn more if I'm interested in finance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending